sunshinesupernova

Planting out courgettes

Is it still too early ? I planted out 6 plants on Wednesday that I had grown from seed and were doing very well. 24 hours later - they were shrivelled and dead !

I don't know whether it's possible they've been caught by frost or if by some chance "somebody" used the wrong can for weedkiller at the end of last year.... unlikely - but possible

I think I've got two left in the shed. I'll need to get some more seeds in.

It was probably the frost, they are very sensitive to changes in temperature. When you plant the other 2 out, make sure that they have been outdoors during the day for a few days before going in the ground taking them in at night. I think the frosts are coming to an end now so good luck with your remaining plants, it is always a gamble at this time of year. We have had to earth up our potatoes every evening this week to protect them from the frost.

I was thinking frost was most likely - was surprised they were TOTALLY dead literally overnight... not jsut in a stage of wilting etc.

I'm surprised - I seem to have planted extra in the shed anyway and was amazed to find I've got quite a few still indoors. No one really needs stacks of courgette plants to live anyway given they produce so many.

I've sown a few more seeds as a back up and will keep the ones I have indoors for a little longer before gently getting them used to the outdoors and planting out

thank you