Biker Betty

Breathing through her beak

Hello all

I've got a chook who's not looking too good today. She has started waddling a bit (John Wayne-esque) and I put that down to a touch of perotinitis - she has ben laying softies for a while now and I think that's what's caused it. I actually checked her over yesterday and she was a little swollen but not too bad - it seems to have flared up today.

The more worrying thing is that she is breathing through her beak - quite laboured breathing - you can hear it quite loudly. I checked her over to see if her nostrils were gunked up or something but I can't see anything blocking them. She has done it a little before but not quite like this and it's usually disappeared quite quickly.

I usually treat a stuck egg with liquid parrafin down their throats but I am really struggling to do that today as she's breathing through it and I am a little worried about her inhaling some.

One other tiny symptom is that she is only pooing tiny amounts at a time - not the normal big dollop! This is why I checked her out for a stuck egg yesterday.

Otherwise, she is quite ok - her tail feathers are perky, not hunched, she's not particularly skinny or anything, crop's fine, vents fine, she is still eating and drinking normally - and still pestering me for treats!

Any clues?

Thanks for that - I'm not totally sure there is an egg stuck - I'm thinking its more likely to be perotinitis to be honest. Although I have never seen it appear that quickly before - its usually a bit more gradual.

I have tried the warm bath with a co-operative chicken on a few occasions before - this one does not like to be handled and I cannot imagine what kind of fuss she'd kick up at that!

Thank you for your suggestions though.

I'm going to keep a very close eye on her over the next day or so and see how she gets on.

I'll keep you posted.

Hi all

Well the symptoms are continuing unfortunately and it looks like it could be perotinitis but it does keep niggling at me that it has appeared so quickly - within a day or so - and I have had a fair few occasions of SP and egg binding before - this is different somehow. Is it possible that she could be constipated? She doesn't really seem to be pooing properly and I wondered if she is backed up? I had a little feel in her vent last night and couldn't feel any eggs stuck or anything - she just looks like she needs to do a massive poo! And both mine did have some stomach problems the other week.

Does anyone know of any chicken laxative remedies that they could eat? I would normally opt for some liquid parrafin but I don't want to do that with her breathing through her mouth at the mo.

For the moment I gave her live yoghurt mixed with water this morning which she really enjoyed. She's not really eating normally now though.

Thanks

p.s. they have been wormed within the last month with flubenvet so i am ruling this out.

When peritonitis gets bad, the pressure of all that liquid in her abdomen will press on her internal organs and air sacs, making it difficult to breathe. It's not possible to be sure that's what the problem is without seeing her, but I'd wager a bet that it is if she already has 'water belly'.

I'm afraid that peritonitis is a one-way street as far as outcome is concerned; once they start to exhibit this kind of distress it is best to have them PTS.

Hi Claret

Thanks for that - as I said I have dealt with a few cases before of sterile perotinitis and do recognise the symptoms etc. I do think that this seems a bit different this time though and I just want to exhaust ever other possibility before having her put to sleep. Have you come across constipation in a chicken before? If so, do you have any remedies?