ecudc

eglu & animal welfare act

I am a little surprised that Omlet are still promoting the eglu as suitable for two medium sized rabbit, especially when a medium rabbit is described as an english lop which is quite a large rabbit. Because of the animal welfare act most RSPCA's and the rabbit welfare association have issued guidlines. These state that the rabbit should be able to take several hops within the hutch and this equates usually to a minimum of 5ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch with attached run. The eglu is half that size with an internal length of 2ft by 2ft by 2ft

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/animal_welfare_bill_lft.pdf

http://www.rspca-westhatch.co.uk/Rabbits.htm

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Choosing-Rabbit-Hutches-amp-Cages_W0QQugidZ10000000000073160

http://www.rspca-walsall.org.uk/newpages/rabbits.htm

http://www.rspca-online.co.uk/rabbits/needtoknow/accommodation/

These are just a few of the links.

Edited by Guest

I think it's because omlet intend rabbits to have 24 hour access to the run and never to be shut in the eglu itself. This would be very cruel and I don't like the fact that some people shut their rabbits in at night. Personally I agree that the space inside the eglu is very small. I think the eglu and run is ideal accommodation for rabbits during the day, but at night they should ideally be shut in a large hutch. There isn't room for any rabbit larger than a mini-sized breed to stretch out comfortably with legs extended in the eglu (I know this as I measured my rabbit when stretched out and then measured the littertray dimensions - you have to go off these, not the external dimensions that omlet features on the website - the inside of the house is actually very small due to the thickness of the walls).

but the runs if kept on grass are not fox proof and having seen the run as well I don't think that it would be too hard for a fox to turn it over if kept on slabs therefore you can't keep a rabbit in it overnight.

I don't believe there is any case of a fox turning an Eglu/Rablu run over. They CAN dig underneath it in rare instances if it's on soft soil, and appropriate warnings are given about weighting down/pegging down; Omlet also sell a mesh floor for the rabbit run. I should add that I have hens, not bunnies, but I have owned several Eglus!

I don't think that it would be too hard for a fox to turn it over if kept on slabs therefore you can't keep a rabbit in it overnight.

Might need a few of it's buddies :lol: I would struggle to turn over an eglu with run attached, wouldn't think a fox could do it

• Omlet Staff

Dear Ecudu,

Thanks for your post.

You seem to be missing the point of the Eglu which gives the rabbits much more space than a traditional hutch and really does keep the fox out ( as 1000's of Eglu owners prove ).

Regarding size - The Eglu far exceeds the RSPCA requirements and is in fact used in many of their centres and other animal rescue centres. The RSPCA doesn't have a product stamp of approval or I am sure that the Eglu would receive such a stamp. The figure for size you are quoting is the inside space of the house. The actual eglu dimensions are: 9ft * 3ft * 2.5ft - which is roughly double the RSPCA recommended amount of space.

Regarding Fox proofing - The eglu has an anti-tunnel plate around the sides of the run and so unlike a normal hutch the rabbit is free to be outside or inside whenever it chooses. This is much more natural than keeping the rabbits indoor all the time.

You can read more about this here: http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?cat=Eglu+For+Rabbits&subcat=Secure+Run

I hope this helps clear up the misunderstanding,

Yours,

James

Having had friends and adopters who have experienced foxes digging under runs, even ones with plates, spikes or bricks around the outside and have had buns killed as a result, I would under no circumstances leave any rabbit in a run over night unless it was protected under the run as one of your previous posters suggested or possibly on slabs. Having seen an eglu and run at a show before I was very easilly able to lift the run part sufficiently for a fox to get under. Perhaps putting weights on the plates would help in that case but then you still have the problem of the internal dimensions of the elgu.

The dimentions I gave are for your "hutch" bit which is where the rabbit will go to shelted from inclemant weather, frost (in the midlands it dropped down to -10 this winter and no rabbit should be forced to be outside in those conditions just to get some excercise), snow, wind, rain etc. Given my fairly normal dwarf lops are over 2 ft in length when they stretch out the internal dimensions only just give enough room for 2 of them to do that, but even that would not really be possible as from my rememberance the floor of the elgu is not completely flat, let alone to move around if the conditions outside are unsuitable.

I fail to see how the eglu gives more space than what is generally accepted to be the norm for most rescues and the rabbit welfare association which is a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch with attached run. This roughly equates to a floor space of 24 to 35 sqft of which 12sqft is always accessable, no matter the weather. In the eglu the floor space I think you are saying is 27 sqft which is fine but only 4sqft is usable no matter what the conditions outside.

You say that the rspca do not offer an acreditation service however the rabbit welfare association do approve hutches. Perhaps you should approach them to sea if the RWA would approve the Eglu.

As some of you do seem to have realised I do help to run a rabbit rescue and under no circumstances would we rehome to an eglu. It would be fine as a fun day out for a house rabbit and I admit looks fun and funky but it is too small to house rabbits permenantly. I know of some rescues where Eglus have been donated but I suggest that the majority of them do not use them for anything other than emergency accomodation or for a play on the grass. Infact I know of one rescue that uses hers as an example of poor housing

Edited by Guest

Can I just ask in addition to the note about medium sized rabbits, I have a Classic Eglu (green eglu) which currently houses a mother chicken and some chicks. We are moving her to a new accomidation, is this Eglu big enough for two Rex Otter Rabbits? Not mini Rexes - but full-grown Rexes? We will not shut them in at night and will also get an extension for the run - but will this be big enough for the two of them?

Here are pictures of the two rabbits, for a size reference:

http://www.freewebs.com/gerbilgirl22/apps/photos/photo?photoid=49333754

http://www.freewebs.com/gerbilgirl22/apps/photos/photo?photoid=72798611

Thanks,

Becky.

It's always hard to say without seeing the actual rabbits in question but rexes are usually described as medium to large rabbits and most that I have seen are larger (in length and height) than your average dwarf lop although they are often less chunky :) Personally no I don't think that it would be suitable. i would also worry slighly about the flooring. Some rexes can have difficulty with sore hocks because their fur does not give suitable protection to their feet. This usually does mean that having access to grass is ideal but you have to be careful about indoor flooring or hutch lining and cannot keep their run on slabs or have mesh on the grass to keep foxes out. For rexes usually the softer the flooring the better. Of course yours may have been well bred to try and reduce this problem and ps they are very pretty.

Can I just ask what you mean about sore hocks - and the ground?

They were in a large wooden hutch/chicken coup, which had a ramp going down onto a large area of grass. The area in the eglu run is slightly smaller but is on the same grass. Is it the floor inside the eglu house that could case a problem for rabbits? At the moment they still have the chicken floor, with nesting box, and because of this have to have to door open all night to give them access to water. I took out the roosting bars when the chicks first hatched.

Thanks.