Sarah71

Questions

Sorry everyone, me again with more questions. Ok, will chickens go under sheds, and will they get stuck? Can you give them bird grit or does it have to be poultry grit? And has anyone every had a problem with their chickens eating slugs that have come from neighbours gardens that have eaten slugs pellets, worried about mine when I get them because I know my neighbour uses pellets because I have to be careful with my dogs.

Thanks guys :D

Sarah

can't answer all these questions, but I think I can help on the slug one. If your neighbour puts down slug pellets, it's unlikely that the slugs will make it into your garden to be eaten - they usually die (horribly) on the spot. It would be a bit worrying if your chooks could get into the garden where pellets are put down though, if you know they use them then make sure your ladies can't get through there.

Go on asking questions, I am learning a lot of things I didn't know! :)

Hi Sarah!

yes they do eat snails, slugs, woodlice, flies etc - anything they can catch!

(Reports of frogs and mice too) :vom::vom::vom::vom:

Mine don't go under the shed, as I have blocked most of it off.

I give mine Oyster shell mixed in with they pellets, you can get it from pets at home or most pet shops sell it. I don't give them extra grit as they dig enough small stones from the garden. You will hear them nibbling on stones and then spitting them out if they are too big. As long as they have access to dirt, i'm sure they will find enough grit.

Keep asking questions, its the only way to learn. We all did it and still do!

Sorry everyone, me again with more questions. Ok, will chickens go under sheds, and will they get stuck? Can you give them bird grit or does it have to be poultry grit? And has anyone every had a problem with their chickens eating slugs that have come from neighbours gardens that have eaten slugs pellets, worried about mine when I get them because I know my neighbour uses pellets because I have to be careful with my dogs.

Thanks guys :D

Sarah

I'm not sure what bird grit is :oops: but poultry grit is very cheap and looks like small pieces of gravel with some oystershell in it. I've hardly dented my 1kg(?) bag in about a year.

Chickens can sometimes squeeze under small spaces e.g. chickenwire where you can't see the gap, or through the hedge. It is surprising how much of your fat chicken is feathers when it wants to squeeze through something. After a short time they establish their territory so hopefully won't. It's hard to say, sometimes they do stupid things, you'll probably learn fairly quickly what they will and won't do. You could always fence off/cover that area?