Chucky Mama

Eggs Or No Eggs - PlzPost Here If You Have An Egg Drought!

I tried to put this in a poll but there were just too many variations so here goes with a thread instead. There are so many of us having an egg drought at the moment that I thought it would be a good idea to to contain the chat to 1 thread so that we can follow each others ups and downs and tips and advise.

So here goes...

I have 4 hybrid all day free rangers. They are approx 18 months old. They layed all winter but I am now down to 1 egg per day. I have 1 that has had a mini moult and was laying softies - now thankfully stopped and the other 2 are doing nothing :roll: The are eating very very few pellets which I think is the issue. They seem to be using the pellets to supplement their diet of yummy things found in the garden rather than the other way around. They are up to date with Flubenvet worming and now that the softies have stopped, are on no supplementation (did use Zolcal D for softies).

Not just me then? Thanks for starting this.

I have 22 :shock: hens. I get an average of 8 eggs a day. All have been wormed last week with Flubenvet and have no crawlies.

Of the 2 Araucana Amy has never laid, Anna was laying 3 eggs a week til June 3rd. Nothing since. I'm not sure how old they are, possibly just over a year.

The 3 Light Sussex girls, Dolly, Tom and Jerry are just over a year old and seem to be having a mini moult around the front neck area. From the 3 of them I get 1 or maybe 2 eggs a day.

Peppa my only remaining Omlet girl is over 3 years old and has definitely reached the henopause. Hatty and Betty only come to the field and feed so I don't really count them in my tally of hens.

Polly (Poland) and Minni (Minorca) lay 3 - 4 eggs a week.

The Welsummers are also last year's hatch, Barbara lays 3 eggs a week, I think Margo gives us 1 if we're very lucky.

The 10 rescue girls give us 4 eggs a day. Considering they are not in the best of condition feather wise they're doing really well.

They all get along really well. pecking doesn;t seem to be an issue. They have 4 cubes and runs as well as a large field. They free range from 7am to 10pm. Often 10 of them will cram into one cube to roost.

I feed them Smallholders Layers pellets with additional garlic granules and limestone flour. They get through over 2kg of pellets a day - about 100g each.

Every other week I add some Lifeguard to their water.

Everyone looks perky with bright eyes, red combs and wattles, they run towards me when I go and see them. I've stopped giving them corn in case that was the problem.

Should I be concerned or am I just being unrealistic?

Mine decided to on strike at the same time last week. :?

I have three ex-bats, two of them have laid non stop since i got them in September. Even the harsh winter that we have just had didn't stop them laying. They get wormed, de loused and mited regularly. They are on the same ex bat feed that they usually have. So that's it I've had no eggs for the past week.

I really hate having to buy my eggs in. I wonder if they know that I'm getting some more ex-bats on Saturday.

Bunch of free-loaders!! :roll:

I have 5 girls - 3 are over 3 years old, 2 are under 2. I get 2 eggs a day if I'm lucky :roll: .

They freerange (in a fairly small area) for most of the day 4 days a week and for a few hours the other 3.

They don't have access to grass - I sometimes wonder if that's a factor :?

Is it your 2 young uns laying or a mixture of the 5?

How much free ranging do they get SC?

2-3hrs on a week day, all day on a sat and sun (providing we are in) :D

Hmm I wonder if to get more eggs I need to shut mine in more. At the moment I will put up with fewer eggs I think. I haven't changed anything from last year but they are a year older which is probably enough to create the drought. Feeling less smug about getting eggs all winter now when others had none :roll:

Hmm I wonder if to get more eggs I need to shut mine in more.

This has crossed my mind too.

I had mine confined to barracks for a week a while ago to try and sort out who was laying what. The following week was one of their best. I thought it was coincidence at the time, now I'm not so sure :think:

I have nine Hens and for a couple of weeks have been getting 3 eggs or less a day.

Bubbles is over 5 years old and doesn't lay any more. 4 rescue girls now over 2 years old, one lays softies and the other 3 lay when they feel like it. 4 newbies, pol of lay in March, 2 have been broody so no eggs from them. The other two are laying most days.

All had infections recently and even when the were sneezing, had bubbly eyes etc and on Baytril I was getting 8 eggs a day which I had to throw away. All are well again and have the reddest combs and wattles but no eggs.

They free range from 3pm until 10pm week days and longer at week ends. The only treats I give is a small handful of corn between them every other evening, otherwise it is pellets and whatever they can find in the garden. I have checked the garden for eggs but found none. The girls were wormed at the end of April. No crawlies on the birds or in the Cube. No moulters.

I have several people who buy any surplus eggs and I can't keep up with demand at the moment. I should have taken delivery of 4 POL Chickens in May but the breeder let me down (I must change my signature).

I have two Eglus standing empty so I will be increasing my flock in the hope of getting more eggs next month if I can locate a reliable breeder.

AN EGG AT LAST!! :clap::D

I woke up this morning to an extremely loud egg announcement from Maureen.

This is her first egg in 9 days. I have been giving them their ex-bat feed mixed with water for the past few days. Just because they think its something special and tend to go mad on it.

I have also reduced their FR time to about 6 hours as others have mentioned that it could be too many FR goodies..

So hopefully the egg drought may be coming to an end. :wink::D

Well, I've noticed a reduction in egg production in the last 5 days. I have 6 who are supposed to be laying, they are averaging 2 eggs a day at the moment. Up until last friday I was overflowing with eggs - my neighbour was having 2 dozen a week off me, now I've had to tell her she can't have half a dozen until wednesday. :o They are wormed and haven't free ranged since march. I wonder if it's anything to do with the weather- hot and sunny one minute, grey and flippin chilly the next.

Fifi...one of my original Omlet girls lays large cream coloured eggs but they have had thin shells for quite sometime now...at a guess she is around 2.5 years of age. She is laying approx 4/week with one or two softies.

Cleo...another original Omlet girl lays a large cream coloured egg...it is always a torpedo shape with "Ooops, word censored!"bly bits on...odd but unique :whistle: She is laying every other day at the moment.

Gertrude (Magpie)...has only ever laid me a couple of softies (I think!!) but sits on the nest almost every day for ages :doh:

Lulu (Maran Cuivree)...laid a 3gm 'wind' egg a few days ago...nothing else yet :think:

Violet (Bluebelle)...lays very pale brown eggs every other day at the moment 8)

'Mad' Mildred (Skyline/Columbine)...has laid me a gorgeous pastel green egg every day for well over 40 days now...well done that girl :clap:

Robin and Daphne (Skyline/Columbine)...lay at least every other day at the moment :D

Clara (Speckledy)...lays 44-48gm (max) eggs at least every other day at the moment :eh:

Stella (White Star)...lays large white eggs...over 30 days without a break so far :clap:

Phoebe and Harriet (White Star)...lay white eggs but not as big as Stella's yet...they are sitting side-by-side in the larger nest box as I type...ah bless :angel: They are laying every day at the moment...thank you girls :dance:

Since I have had 12 girls...the most eggs laid in a day was 9 eggs...last week the girls laid 49 eggs between them and the week before that it was 51 :D

Hi, I'm new to this but I have four girls of about 30 weeks old. One started laying then I'd get two eggs every couple of days from two hens but the other two don't show any signs of laying - it's like they just haven't matured enough but were from the same batch! Someone suggested giving them rice to make them lay and I have to say that on the days I did, they started laying the two eggs. Maybe I should boil up some rice each day for them now.

Just noticed your name...'bajanbird'...are you from Barbados by any chance?

Just interested...we went there for our holiday this year...it was fab u lus!! :dance:

Sorry everyone...just had to ask that :whistle:

Good luck with your girls...hope they all lay for you soon :D

2 hens, just over year old, free range all day every day - Alice lays an egg every day - Carol last laid a 'useful' egg thursday last week, she laid a 'fart' egg on sunday and a couple of softies about 10 days ago.

Carol is a happy little soul despite still missing neck feathers from the rehomed Pippa's onslaught so I don't really begrudge her some time off laying but I still miss the eggs.

Having only got 6 eggs yesterday i decided a bit of tough love may be necessary.

As I'm working from home at the moment :dance: I'm keeping the girls in the cubes and runs until midday.

So far today I've collected 7 eggs, Minnie is on the nest right now amd I've even had a small !eggblue!:clap:

My conclusion is that one of the Araucana (probably Anna) has been laying eggs somewhere in the field but I have absolutely no hope of ever finding out where.

Will let you know if my tally increases over the next few days

I got 2 out of 4 a couple of days ago but am now back to 1. I keep them shut in until 9am but they pretty much go on hunger strike until then. They pace looking like caged lions - they know I am a soft touch. I think that I enjoy watching them free rooting around the garden as much as I enjoy the eggs. :roll: I keep hoping that there will be a secret stash somewhere.

Two of my chooks (young POL hybrids) laid a few eggs a little while ago but I've had none for a week now. They have been wormed and I have introduced some additional grit to their diet which contains shell. They are active and happy but don't seem to be eating much of their pellets. Do you think it could be the warmer weather affecting their appetite? I have limited their free ranging a bit more so that they will eat their pellets, but the level is hardly going down and I haven't had to top it up for days. It is rather frustrating! :wall::boohoo:

We have 2 chickens of about 18 months old. The same as some other posts they have laid right through the cold winter almost without fail! Our Gingernut ranger is laying really well, our Miss Pepperpot is not. Over the last two weeks, or so, she has laid thin shelled eggs, softie eggs, a couple of days of normal eggs, then back to softies or nothing!

After reading similar comments on this forum we have been keeping them in their run with only pellets to eat until we come home from work (about 5pm), or from about 2pm at weekends. That may have worked for a bit, but now it is not working any more. We did try crushing up oyster shell grit & mixed it in with their layers mash/meal, but we don't really have a method for crushing the grit easily. However that did seem to make some difference, as for two days afterwards that was when the proper eggs appeared.

I'm really concerned that there is an issue, but I'm also concerned that any extras I give to them both will make the Gingernut Ranger's get too hard so she won't be able to pass them. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Good luck to us all! Those girls all have minds of their own!