Chucky Mama

Eggs Or No Eggs - PlzPost Here If You Have An Egg Drought!

Evening All,

I have 6 chickens, 3 are now about 1 year old, the other 3 about 2years old. Up until the start of Sept I was geting 6 eggs a day no problem, then boom nothing for weeks. I had a few around the 8th and the 13th and weeks later still nothing... I spotted a possible weasel/stoat yesterday - could they be taking the eggs??? If so, how do I stop them? If not, why have the chooks stopped laying :?

L x

Stress will stop hens from laying and stoats and weasels are very frightening indeed for chickens - as they can attack and even kill them. Make sure they cannot get in the run anywhere, and check around for rat activity as that may have encouraged them as they will kill and eat rats also.

All the best

Sue

Dark Brown Eggs

Hi all, my gorgeous girls have for some reason stopped laying. It first started when I went away in August and a neighbour looked afterthem for us. I think she overdid the treats and at first I put it down to that but now their diet is back to normal but we are getting very few eggs. We have 8 chucks and before we went away we were getting on average 6 a day but now we are getting on average 1 or 2 sometimes none.

They all seem happy and healthy and no mites etc.

Can anyone give me an idea how to get them through this or if i'm doing something wrong. Thanks

I have a mixture of pure breds and hybrids, in total 6 chucks - I get 2 eggs every other day but 3 chucks are moulting, 1 is recovering from severe bullying and has had to be separated and is beginning to pick up and put on weight. The 2 which are laying are pure bred Light Sussex and Copper Black Maran, am hoping they will soon begin again as I am getting withdrawl symtoms! :D

I have a mixture of pure breds and hybrids, in total 6 chucks - I get 2 eggs every other day but 3 chucks are moulting, 1 is recovering from severe bullying and has had to be separated and is beginning to pick up and put on weight. The 2 which are laying are pure bred Light Sussex and Copper Black Maran, am hoping they will soon begin again as I am getting withdrawl symtoms! :D

I have now been able to put my bullyed chick back into the flock. I know they say you should not do this but she was desparate and just called to them the whole time. Saturday I let them all out in the garden and she just fitted right in, when they went to bed she just followed so I left her there - keeping an eye on her of course but now she is laying and seems fine. Sdo yesterday I got 3 eggs - whooooohoooo

my two orpingtons have completely given up, no eggs for 2 weeks now from either. It's their second winter, but I had hoped/expected I might have had one a week at least. Oh well. Bought six eggs from Tescos today....and felt guilty for only buying free range not farmer's REAL free range ones.

dont know what's going on with my lot - from a single day a few weeks back where we had 9 from 10 girls, we are now back to a max of 3 per day....

the move to the new WIR should (fingers crossed) take place at the w/e or early next week, and I am going to use that as the opportunity to powder everyone liberally against any pest under the sun, powerwash the cube after taking it apart completely, and flubenvet them all.

I've noticed that my light sussex hybrid is the most predictable, and although she is still laying most days the eggs are getting a few grams smaller. The silver sussex lays four or five days then misses a day. The speckledy is the most erratic but she is also laying most days at the moment. What does happen is that when we have stormy, windy or rainy weather they go off lay. It can be for four or five days during which time I'll get very few eggs.

I bought a point of lay cream legbar at the end of August and she hasn't started laying yet. I wonder if they are late developers like the speckledies, and whether I'll have any eggs from her before the spring now.

Today was my first one egg day (from three hybrid girls) since they started laying back in June...Brigid has been off lay since she emerged from the broody cage, but today Barbara, who's usually reliable, followed her in taking a day off.

I don't begrudge them, but it will be sad if the teenagers who are chicken sitting for me this week don't get a reasonable clutch of eggs to take home with them - it's part of the pleasure of hen sitting after all.