disappointed

New Eglu cube doesn't fit properly and roof doesn't open

We had an eglu cube delivered and assembled by the Omlet delivery man on 10/6/10. He told us the roof was stiff and would work loose with use.

On further inspection (after he had gone), the roof opens 2 or 3 inches only, and needs forcing, and there are large gaps around the cube and the back panel -I can put my hand in and around the panels. We contacted Omlet who asked for photos. Quin in customer services, advised that this is normal! Well not for my hens it isn't, and we are returning the eglu cube for a refund.

I checked the forums today to find that several other buyers in May/June 2010 have had similar problems with new cubes. Omlet have locked the threads so I could not add my comments,and have started this new topic to let others know we have had problems too. It would have been helpful if Quin had advised us of other complaints.

We will probably return to Chicubes and have a coop purpose made, their quality is excellent.

I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with your Cube. I can only comment on your post from a forum moderators standpoint. Whilst the forum is hosted by Omlet, it is moderated by volunteers not Omlet employees. We do lock some threads - not to censor things but rather when Omlet staff are dealing with things. Leaving them running can prevent individuals contacting Omlet direct. Any customer queries, complaint or issues should really be dealt with by Omlet via their customer service number or email rather than on the forum. It would appear from your post that the Omlet team have your issue in hand and are working towards an acceptable resolution with you :D

its sooo disappointing isnt it? I had a thread on this forum about my leaking cube. i wonder if it was this you saw? i also have a poll running in the poll section.

i got my cube in early feb and have been corresponding with omlet about it regularly since then. My cube was put up by their omlet guy and had loads of big gaps and was quite wonky. i sent them loads of pics and as the weather became wetter i noticed that it was leaking into the nest box and under the right hand poo tray. my hubby adjusted the cube to get rid of the gaps, but it still leaked! they eventually sent me a new one a couple of weeks ago, which was also errected by their omlet guy, and we tested it for leaks with the aid of a watering can. this one leaked too! :(

they are sending me yet another one on the 8th july which they will pre-erect and test for leaks before it comes out to me. i am hoping that this one will be what i wanted when i placed the order back in jan. :wall:

Dear Disappointed,

As mentioned in my email this morning - if you would like to give Omlet the opportunity to put right the concerns you have, please let me know and I will arrange this for you... I am sorry to hear that our product has not been up to our usual standard, we do have thousands of cubes out there and the issues that customer experience are isolated, we do take all complaints seriously and try our very best to achieve a suitable resolution wherever possible.

I do look forward to hearing from you and hope that you do give us the chance to sort this out.

With best regards,

UPDATE - the OP has decided they wish to return their cube, we can only apologise that our product has not lived up to usual expectations on this occasion, where possible we always aim to address each case as it arises to reach a satisfactory resolution to issues with build quality.

Sorry, but got to stick up for Omlet here.

I purchased a cube at the Grand designs show this year, and when it got delivered there was a fault with it. But it is being delt with an a very professional way and to the satisfaction of me and my wife.

Give them a chance to respond and deal with any issues and im quite sure they will be sorted out. Yes the Cube is a very expensive item to buy. And I too expect absolute perfection in any item I buy be it £1.00 or £1000.00 but things go wrong and things dont always function the way they are meant to, thats what warrenty's are for and the sales of goods act.

All I can say is if you have a problem then give Omlet a chance to sort it out. They have bent over backwards to help us and to rectify our problems.

Thank you Omlet and Quin.

Gary n Clare

THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR TAKING SUCH AN INTEREST IN MY POST.

The Eglu cube is being collected on 10/7/10.

We went through the same procedure as other complainants ie telephone calls, sending photos, no responses, only to be told by Quin that there wasn't a problem as his cube has the same problems!!!

The Eglu had been my preferred option when we decided to keep hens but because of the cost we chose a CHICUBE.

Needing more space I decided on the Eglu cube, although we had never seen one.

We had read of faulty Eglu cubes causing problems for their owners so we decided that as it was an expensive purchase we would have the delivery and assembly service.

Omlet clearly have a problem with quality as our Cube was faulty when delivered, and the delivery man should have been aware of this. There are other posts complaining of faulty cubes in May and June 2010, this was never mentioned to us.

A previous post states Omlet now only deliver fully assembled cubes. Not so with ours but this would be the best method as the cubes could be checked before delivery and only satisfactory cubes delivered to new owners, preventing disappointment and potentially lost sales.

A previous post reported that a cube had been delivered with one side half an inch wider than another. We have checked ours again and it too has the same problem. Did we get the one they returned, or is there a pressing problem in the factory?

We had no problems during the very bad winter with our Chicube, our hens were really snug as the coop is sturdy and of strong construction. The Eglu would have been far too draughty and cold in winter temperatures and looking at other posts, we have read of owners having to insulate their cubes.

This item is expensive and as far as we are concerned should be fit for purpose every time.

Disappointed,

Thank you for the update - when I saw your photo's the cube to my eye looked well assembled, I am sure if I had seen the cube in the flesh I may have had a different opinion and agreed with you straight away, and regret comparing yours to mine... As mentioned in an email to you I did forward your photos to our design team who suggested that we replace your cube but you emailed requesting the cube to be collected before I had the chance to reply...

As you can appreciate with all rota moulded plastic you are never going to get Ferrari-esque lines & finishes on each panel after all it is designed with the intention of being an agricultural outdoor product, however, we will always where possible ensure that cubes are well fitting and if for any reason this is not the case we will always do our best to ensure a satisfactory result to both you and the safety of your chickens.

I only wish you had given us the opportunity to address the issues as we have hundreds if not thousands of customers who own the eglu product who are extremely happy, so I am sorry to hear that you have lost faith in the cube...

With best regards,

P.S. I hope you don't mind but I edited your post as I am a he and not a she :D

All I can say is that I have two cubes, and two eglus and all are excellent. Only one (the first eglu) was delivered and assembled. The other eglu was pre-loved. My first cube was re-conditioned ( looked absolutely brand new) I collected myself from Omlet and OH assembled. The second was pre-loved and OH assembled.

My friend bought a wooden house at the same time I bought my first eglu. It leaks very badly and is no way as easy to clean as the Omlet products.

All the customer service I have had from Omlet has been excellent. But each to their own, I suppose.

Tricia

Absolutely agree it should be fit for purpose as they are an expensive item, I do remember reading a similar problem last year but Omlet did sort it out and replace the cube for the customer. I was glued to the thread!

This really worried me when I made the decision to buy a (cube green) and I was happy for the Omlet driver who put it all together.Their are small gaps(ventilation ) but despite all the torrential rain, our village being cut off for a week due to the heavy snow this winter(extra insulation was not required despite the long period of cold weather). It has always been bone dry! My chickens dont come out shivering and in this warm weather have not come out with heat exhaustion.

I was reassurred that incidences of problems are extremely un common by satisfied omlet owners . I did also search for a comparible product (other plastic type houses). There arent any.

So far I have recommended my (cube green) to lots of people and today I took delivery of a (green eglu) today which is bigger than I thought and seems robust as I am confident in this product/company they are very transparent showing and dealing with complaints very professionally even on line for all to view. Cant blame you when you spent all that money for not being so pleased but I think you were very unlucky.

Good luck and glad the hens are now happy :)

STILL AWAITING A REFUND

Thank you all for your replies, it is good to hear from a number of you who are pleased with your product, its unfortunate we cannot say the same.

Our disatisfaction is with both the product and the level of customer service.

To set the record straight on Quin's post of 6/7/10, we have an email from him telling us that in his opinion there wasn't a problem with the cube , (despite our photo's detailing the gaps where we could wrap our hands around the panels and the fact the roof didn't open). He also emailed to say the design team had advised that a driver take a look at it. At no time have Omlet ever offered to replace the cube. It was this dismissive response that led to our decision to return the cube, it was clear that the company had no interest in addressing the problems

We also read with interest Quin's statements in his post relating to rotomoulding and 'ferrari -esque lines and finishes (whatever that is supposed to mean). Those we believe do nothing but seek to defend the indefensible. Whether the product is for the domestic or agricultural market it should be fit for purpose. We are not inexperienced in rotomoulding street bollards ,and suggest the crux of the problems with the product actually lie in the rotomoulding process, and that Quin would do well to investigate whether new moulds would lead to a better fit and finish to the coop panels.

Our only interest in Omlet now is to obtain a refund of £450!

As arranged by Quin, the cube was returned, unused on 10/7/2010, (we have a receipt from the driver for its collection). We were assured by Quin as soon as the cube was returned we would be reimbursed. We emailed Quin to request a speedy refund..to date we have received no reply!!!

Today 14 days later, I again checked my credit card...still no REFUND!!! Such inaction by Omlet has led us to inform Quin today, that we will commence proceedings in the small claims court to recoup our money if a refund is not received by close of business on Monday.

Omlet may have a large customer base but they should not be blase in dealing with their customers, there is competition from other manufacturers of plastic/ composite coops, who are willing to listen to their customers and can and will make a better quality,easy clean coop to individual designs,at a cheaper price (we have one, we know).

Due to our own experience, we would never recommend Omlet either for their products or service to customers!

Dear Disappointed,

Firstly I am sorry that your refund has not been received - I have been out of the office for the past few weeks at trade shows, however before my departure I had instructed our accounts department to issue your refund so I apologise profusely that this has not been actioned. I am back in the office briefly on Monday and will ensure your refund is processed immediately and will email you to confirm that this has been done.

Secondly, not wanting to cover old ground, we would have been more than happy to address your issues if given the opportunity, however I believe whatever I say you are not going to be entirely satisfied with, so I feel we are going to have to agree to disagree on your thoughts concerning our products and I wish you well with your alternative chicken house.

With best wishes,

Today 14 days later, I again checked my credit card...still no REFUND!!! Such inaction by Omlet has led us to inform Quin today, that we will commence proceedings in the small claims court to recoup our money if a refund is not received by close of business on Monday.

While the lack of a refund is unacceptable, the terms stated in the post are potentially unattainable. Even assuming that Omlet staff work weekends, banks do not so the money would not be sent until Monday. As the account in question is a credit card, it can take several days before any payment is credited...so even if the payment is made on Monday, you may not see it in your account until Friday or even Monday of the following week.

This is beyond Omlet's control.

Also, be advised that for all small claims, you must give the defendant 30 days in order to fulfil the request. As the cube was collected on the 6/7/10, they have 30 days from that date...up until that point, the dispute was still open and a solution was not found. Once the item was collected, the solution became a refund. Further more, you need to have written to Omlet to state your terms, e.g. 30 days. An open Forum is not a legally acceptable method.

Hope you get the refund before it resorts to that though! Good luck!

My next purchase before we get our WIR built next month is a nice purple Cube, but I also get a bit uncomfortable when I read posts where people are having problems :?

They are expensive and you would expect to get something that is worth the money you are spending. Surely the Cube has been on the market long enough for all the problems to have been ironed out :?:

These rants on the forums about Omlet make me feel very uncomfortable :(

I don't like seeing complaints on here against Omlet either, I'm really happy with my cube and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

I'm sure if any other company had an open forum like this they too would have customers that saw fit to complain via the forum. I don't believe that there are any manufacturing companies that have a 100% statisfied cutomer base we just don't see the number of compaints they have because they are dealt with privately.

:)

*mod hat off*

Whilst I understand that purchasing an item that is not always fit for purpose is unacceptable, I do feel that the forum is not the place to air one's annoyance.

This forum was set up by Omlet as a support network for new chicken keepers (originally) and had grown massively over the past couple of years. It is still maintained by Omlet and paid for at their expense. Omlet themselves never read the forum, and it is only Quin that contributes, as he was a member before he started working for Omlet.

If I have a problem with a company, I contact them directly and deal with it in private. This has nothing to do with 'bad press' for Omlet, but I also feel uncomfortable when certain things are mentioned e.g legal proceedings.

I sincerely hope that all your concerns are dealt with disappointed.

I suppose people expect complete perfection, don't worry about ordering a cube - they are fab :P I feel uncomfortable because I feel it is one sided :?

I will still buy one as I don't like the wooden coops and I think the chicubes are just the ugliest things I have ever seen :?

this is an update of my previous post re 2 leaking cubes.

on 7th july my 3rd cube was delivered and errected by omlet. this was supposed to have been pretested. it leaked :( . We tried swapping the roof with my old roof (off 2nd cube) and this did solve most leaks.

My neighbour had her 2nd cube (as her first leaked like a sieve) delivered the same day. Hers was supposed to have been pretested too. Hers also leaked. We all tried swapping the panels about (its scarey how much they vary) but we could not build one which didnt leak. :(

I love the cube idea. I like the look of it. I like the easy cleaning which is important to me as i work full time and am a mum of 3. All i want is a cube which doesnt leak.

I ordered my cube in jan & got the first early feb. I am getting fed up with waiting now :wall: