Guest RhysJordan

Ducklings here.

An egg has hatched another is hatching but i dont know what to do

Marsh daisy is trying to lay and mums have abandond the nest i dont know what to do.

Edited by Guest

They are hatching the eggs.

They are in the main house and shut away from the MD's.

The eggs are a day early. So I'm unprepared.

The sussex are sitting in the slide bit to the house.

Is that normal when eggs are hatching ?

Does she taker herself off for a poo break during the day?? If so she may be having her break. Just sit and watch for 20 min, it is Very Very hot outside and the chick should be fine for 20 min, the other egg will continue to hatch without the mum being there. Just make sure she is not trying to attack them. If she is still not coming to thier calls in a bit , i would remove the chicks pop them inside under a light and then pop them under her tonight once she settles. Move her into her own broody coop and run if you do this so the other hens will leave her alone Try not to interfere with the chick to much at this stage or they will be inprinted xxxx fingers crossed she is just having a funnny 5 minutes

She stays in the house during the day and then is brought out at night.

Mum and dad are getting a heat lamp.

It's been 30 mins since it hatched and she still isn't on it.

Sorry I am not sure what you are referring to when you ask is this normal?

If you are using a broody to hatch then she should be shut away from the others as they may attack her or her chicks.

They may be early due to the hot weather we are having but if they were due tomorrow what are you missing when you say you are unprepared? I am in Cambs also so maybe able to help.

If the chick is still wet then ideally Mum should still have it under her. In the days leading up to and of hatching my broodies have not bothered with their daily poo breaks. Is this her first time hatching? Maybe she is unprepared for these fluffballs too.

Are they getting the heatlamp now?

It is her first time.

They are getting the heat lamp now.

It is still half wet and she still isn't on it.

I'm scared the other 2 eggs will get cold.

And I don't have an incubator for them to go in.

I shut her away for 10 mins and she was screaming out for her friend.

She gets angry when she is away from her friend and even when sitting on the eggs she didn't care and just wanted to be with her friend.

Then if it has been 30 min they should be under heat. Move her to her own coop and then once she has settled i would adopt the fostering approach and put them under her this evening once they are fluffed up. As for the other eggs, if she is not going back to them then there is nothing you can do without and incubator. :(

Rhys

You shouldnt have been unprepared if you set the eggs 21 days ago! the broody should have been in her own coop from the start

Move her and the remaining eggs now - a rabbit hutch will be fine but she needs to be away from the others and at close quarters to her eggs so she concentrates on them - its no wonder if she is being disturbed and has other entertainment that she is choosing not to sit!

Hopefully she will settle down and you can return the hatched chick to her later when she is back sitting

If she refuses to sit you have few options

If she stays with the others the is a high liklihood that she will abandon the eggs and chick or the others will attack them

These arn't chicks they are ducklings.

I am personally feeling attacked i had everything sorted but because of the heat they hatched early she had been moved before. But as I said didn't like it because she is so close.

I rang my breeder and I am now mother we have 2 ducklings and I would like this thread locked please because I am upset in how people I putting ways of talking to me thank you.

There is no mention of ducklings in your initial post. With this being posted initially in the Hatching and Raising Chicks section, and the chat about the Marsh Daisies, there was no reason to assume that we weren't talking about chickens......and sorry Rhys, but proper arrangements should have been made.

I think you probably had two options at the start

Move the hen and put up with her complaints

Or decide that she really wasnt happy to sit and was stressed at being alone and so not set the eggs under her in the first place

The fact that she was very stressed and vocal when moved away from her friend would indicate that she wasnt a particularly reliable broody - they should be quiet and trance-like when broody so its not surprising that she has treated the ducklings casually at the end

Leaving her in situ with eggs was a bad idea. Thats not a personal attack - I would give the same advice to anyone that posted a similar question

Your only hope is to move her now - maybe out of earshot or certainly sight of the others and hope she concentrates on being a mum

I agree - no matter what you are hatching you need to have everything ready, and cover most eventualities, from the early days.

As Tasha says, you need to get her away from the others and see if she will settle down.

If she's already given up then you'll need to get them under the lamp as soon as you have it.

Edited by Guest

If there's any more of a delay in getting the hatchling under mum or a heat lamp, get it under anything to get it warm - even light bulbs give out heat.

I won't say anything else as everyone else has said it much more politely than I would have.

I understand where people are coming from but I am not a person who takes lightly to something happening with animals.

I don't appreciate how people are putting what they are saying or people saying i wouldn't have said it so politely.

So much for people being supportive on this website.

I deffinatly don't think I will be coming back.

Well that's up to you, Rhys but I think the posts above have been VERY supportive. They offered sound advice, which is what you'd asked for - but it seems clear that several people thought you should or could have anticipated this, and I don't think you can blame them for saying so. They, like you, are worried about what will happen to these ducklings - or chicks, as we all thought at first.

I think you would have had a much less polite response on many other forums. I hope you'll decide to stay, as I for one have enjoyed reading about your hens and ducks. Good friends will tell you the truth, not tell you what you want to hear, and we all have this experience sometimes.

I am afraid I have some sympathy for Rhys. He came on asking for help which he got but also a lot of criticism which I can't help feeling is unfounded.

Does everyone have a lamp ready when hatching under a broody? I have certainly seen photos on here of a broody and another chicken nearby. Not ideal but Rhys has said why it happened and obviously to him at the time seemed the best thing to do.

Rhys - sorry you feel that way but you asked for advice and we gave the most suitable advice in our opinions. I also offered help but you did not respond.

They may be early due to the hot weather we are having but if they were due tomorrow what are you missing when you say you are unprepared? I am in Cambs also so maybe able to help.

TBH I am still a little confused as to whether it is a chicken or duck hatching these little ones but regardless my advice would of been the same.