Little Clucker

Which breed to choose?

Today our Tikka has gone broody! (First time my OH has experienced the evil pancake chook of dooooom :lol: ) We want to hatch some babies for her as poorly Lemon may be on the way out soon :( and we need at least half a dozen worm-magnets :D

We were just hoping for some advice on the best breeds to hatch at home as this will be the first hatch and my OH's first experience of the technical side of where they come from!

Any boys will be reared and will end up on the table now I've done my course so we have no worries there, so I suppose a dual purpose would be best ...

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :D

x

Its quite late to hatch large fowl - they need a good three months of warm weather to give them a good start but if you have a sheltered area for them once the weather turns cooler then you should be ok, the boys will make meat weight next spring so you will get some crowing before they are ready

Some dual purpose breeds:

Faverolles

Sussex

Dorking

Indian Game

Welsh Black

Marans

Ixworths

I quite fancy some Ixworths myself, they are supposed to be an excellent dual purpose bird :D

I treated myself to some Ixworth hatching eggs a week ago but sadly the broody I spent a week chucking out got the message the day the eggs arrived. :roll: Oh well, there's always next year and it is too late to be hatching and it was just a whim after reading the P P article, but you know how it goes. :lol:

Indian Game make a great meat bird, but they're not the greatest layers.

Although I love my Cuckoo Marans hens, the boys weren't as good eating as the Sussex.

I've heard good things about Leghorn's Welsh Blacks, so I may well give them a go some time too. :)

Although I love my Cuckoo Marans hens, the boys weren't as good eating as the Sussex.

I've found the opposite true, there was more meat on my cuckoo Marans boys than there is on any of the Sussex I've eaten. I might Ixworths and Indian Game next year.

Well the Sablepoot eggs arrived, very cute but so tiny! Dipper (not Tikka after all) is happily ensconced on her clutch and has that blissed out broody look :)

So hopefully we should have some babies soon! :D Well...next month but still OH is very excited :D *fingers crossed for at least one girl!*

Well today we bought 6 day olds as the Sablepoot eggs haven't hatched :(

So now Dipper is the proud mummy of 3 silver spangled hambergs and 3 black pekins :D

we had tried candling the 'poot eggs and they seemed ok, did a post mortem on one and there was an almost full term chick inside, just not strong enough to make it all the way, OH was very upset and even Momma Dip singing chicken lullabyes to get her babies to sleep couldn't cheer him up :(

Will try and post some pictures soon to play the "will I be a girl or boy?" game.