I'm hoping my delivery will be soon - but it will happen when it happens!!

I'm planning what chooks I'd like - I'd really like one like a cream legbar that lays blue eggs and a pencil laced wyandotte that lays white eggs. I guess that they wont lay as many eggs as a hybrid but they will be very pretty :D

With the cube delays that are rumoured it might be a while so I cant go out and buy any more chooks at the moment - but if you Cheshire folk know a source I'd want to come chookie shopping too. :D

Hi Jaime - I visited a fab place near to Craven Arms Shopshire ( no it's not a pub, it's the name of the town). It was on the way to Ludlow. It was actually called a rare breeds centre but they had everything imaginable! I think that would be an excellent place to get them from. They had lacy ones & legbars etc etc. It would be so hard to choose!

There is also a place at Frodsham, I think this is the link to them

http://www.gardenpoultry.cwc.net/index.htm

There is also Moorlands Poultry at Leek http://www.moorlandspoultry.co.uk/

But I really recommend the Shropshire one! Makes for a good run out over the Bank Holiday, just for a look. Nice part of the country!

I have similar choices of chookies to you. I want one that lays bluey eggs, one that lays white eggs( preferably a white chicken), a maran because of the chocolate eggs, I also want a fancy one too (lacey Wyandotte maybe). But when I see them, I'll decide then what's right! I even liked the Transylvanian Naked Necks..... just felt sorry for them looking so sort of ugly! But I liked them!

The Fresians are nice too!

Oh decisions decisions! Wouldn't it be great if you could just go to 24 hour Tescos and choose your chookies and do that quick check out thing and take them home! I can just picture chookies with barcodes on their frilly knickers being scanned! :lol:

Emma.x ( One of the Cheshire Chookie Gals)!

I just looked up the place in Craven Arms http://www.wernlas.com - The Wernlas Collection.

Looks like an intersting place for a day out.... I wonder if they have all of those breeds available or do you have to order them.

Cant go shopping until I know when the cube is arriving....

Another thought could buy a small incubater and blue eggs and hatch my own...... let them run in the eglu until they are big enough for the cube..... next stage owning a chicken farm Hurray!!

Sorry got carried away - real life, wet and miserable Stockport and a big bill for a new central heating boiler that broke over the weekend :cry:

Hi - when I visited The Wernlas Collection about 3 weeks ago - they were all coming up to point of lay in the pens. But in a seperate field they had loads of chicks of nearly everything - you have to ask to go in there. They also sell the eggs of everything to incubate if you want. I have a pricelist for everything!!! Eggs are from About £1.50 - 2.00 each. Day / week old chicks were about £5.00, then pint of lay were about £30.00. But you could have any breed, from any age & the price went up from £5.00 according to age! It was really great & they had a little shop in a Summer house sort of thing with all chickeny things....I bought a sandwich tray!!!!

They have the large breeds and all sorts of Bantams too. I wouldn't like to guess how many breeds there were. But it was the place to get your chickens from if you want variety! If you are happy with Meadowsweet Chickens, then the place at Leek looks fine enough!

When we all get our chookies, we can each arrange a 'Hen Part' each....I've got a chocolate fountain & I'm good at supplying the wine too! :wink:

Been turfing out the Junk for the Cube funding Car Boot - Going to be fun!

Emma.x

A good idea to keep one Eglu for emergencies etc. And maybe for hatching out more?

Are you still thinking of hatching then Dilly?

pencil laced wyandotte that lays white eggs

I've got bantams versions of both the silver laced and silver pencilled wyandottes Jaime, but they lay light beige eggs, not white ones.... sorry. You need to look for a hen with white ears for that.

I guess I'll have to have 3 more then.....

A White Star for white eggs

A cream legbar for blue eggs AND

a Pencil laced wyandotte because they look pretty (beige eggs).

And a red cube party with a chocolate fountain, marshmellows, popcorn - (because I've just had freshly popped stuff for the first time and it's great), and banana cake, some wine...

and after all that... :vom:

What's the good of a party if you can't be sick... That's what I say. :shock:

Jaime, are you getting two wyandottes then? Pencilled and laced are two different markings.

This is Sadie, who is a silver pencilled Wyandotte bantam

http://club.omlet.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6761

In this picture, Sadie is in the foreground and Ruby (the other black and white one), who is a silver laced Wyandotte bantam is in the background.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6747

Why not get one of each? :wink: They are lovely placid hens and Ruby is quite cheeky. Bear in mind though, that as pure breeds, they won't lay so many eggs, may go broody more often and might even stop laying over winter.

Hi Jaime - When I eventually get my cube - I am definitely going to have a hen party this time with fellow Omleteers!

Oh & a barbeque, if it's sunny & Chocolate fountain for pudding!

oooo now popcorn sounds great too....I've got one of those makers that pop it. Wonder if hens like popcorn ( without sugar of course)?

We could even dip the popcorn in the runny chocolate! :roll:

Can you tell I'm getting slightly carried away here?

Why shouldn't they have a hen party anyway - they are very special birds!

If you let your chucks free range, you'll have to keep an eye on them as I have visions in my head of some very chocolatey beaks. The thing with the chucks is, they'd want sweetcorn kebabs too! :roll:

Oh I best get some cash soon and order my cube. We were trying to decide on colour of cube last night & have short listed it to Orange, Pink or Purple. I already have a pink eglu, the orange loks quite retro & funky & the purple is just 8) . Hmmm decisions, decisions. Do you reckon I could squeeze 7 into the cube?