I know there have been several posts on this as I have been having a look through but I wanted to pick your brains a bit more!

I have ordered two chickens, one of each type that Omlet sell. Now most posts that I have seen say to go for three as it is harder to add a single one later one and incase one dies. :cry:

Our garden isn't the largest about 9m wide by 8m long and not all of that is grass. The girls would be let out at about 7.30am in to the run and then shut in the house at about 5pm in winter. We plan to let them free range around the garden during the light evenings in the week and at the weekends.

We can't really fit in an extension panel to make the run bigger, would three cope in the standard run for the amount of time that I've mentioned or would I be better just sticking with two? :?

Thanks for your help

oooh this is a tough one - I only have two chickens (wish I had got three though) and they are perfectly happy in the standard length eglu run during the day.......hopefully someone will reply that has tried three chickens in a standard run :? or you could ask the Omlet people for their advice?

I think my garden is about the same size as yours (not very good with measurements, sorry! :roll::lol: ).

Hi Lorna, I thought I had everything planned out and then I saw an older post on number of hens and now I don't know what to do! :?

Seems to be a theme on a lot of the posts that I have seen where people get two they end up wishing they had three. I would be happy with just two, three would obviously be better but I wouldn't want them to be squashed! :shock:

im another 2 but wish I had 3 person :lol:

My two are lovely and are perfectly happy, but its just me - I long for another hen but I wont introduce another one because I dont want to break up the "twosome" as they are such great pals.

So im sticking with 2, unless something happens to one of mine and then I will definitley get 2 more.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I ordered 2 chickens from Omlet and then my OH wanted 3, so after asking everyone on here I've decided to go with 3, but I have ordered the run extender as I wont be able to let them free range much because of the dogs :roll:

We are also in the "would have loved 3" camp but couldn't fit in a run extender and asked Omlet for advice. They told us that although the eglu itself could comfortably accommodate at least 3 chickens the unconverted run is definitely not intended for more than 2 chickens. We knew that because of the fox population round our way our chickens would be confined to the run for most of the day during the week, with supervised free-ranging when we come home home from work and school and at the weekends. So we went for 2, and they're great. I absolutely understand what people mean about thinking about what will happen if one chicken dies and one is left, but we felt that we had to be guided by Omlet's expertise and think about what's best for the chickens now; we'll just have to deal with the lone chicken problem when it happens. Terrible thought, though - we can't imagine life without either of them now!

We got 2 to start with and then got another 1. It was hard at first while they rearranged the pecking order but now they are all ok together and seem to have enough room in the ordinary run. I asked omlet and they said that 3 is ok but not 4 without the extension. They are all laying very well ie 1 each per day but we are very strict with the feeding, no treats until after about 2pm :D(green eglu)GNRGNRPP!egg!

We are also in the "would have loved 3" camp but couldn't fit in a run extender and asked Omlet for advice. They told us that although the eglu itself could comfortably accommodate at least 3 chickens the unconverted run is definitely not intended for more than 2 chickens. We knew that because of the fox population round our way our chickens would be confined to the run for most of the day during the week, with supervised free-ranging when we come home home from work and school and at the weekends. So we went for 2, and they're great. I absolutely understand what people mean about thinking about what will happen if one chicken dies and one is left, but we felt that we had to be guided by Omlet's expertise and think about what's best for the chickens now; we'll just have to deal with the lone chicken problem when it happens. Terrible thought, though - we can't imagine life without either of them now!

I would have to agree with Lindy on this one - and I'm not one for sticking with just two :roll::wink:

Two will be perfectly happy in the original run. If you should have a chicken that dies, it isn't too difficult to add another one. The lonesome hen will miss the company of another and so will accept a new friend a lot more easily than introducing a third to an established pair.

So....... if you can't find room for a run extension - go for 2 but if you could possbly squeeze in the extension, then go for 3 :D

I struggled with this question too. . .and since I started with chicks it would have been really easy to think I could have more as they were so tiny when I brought them home.

They are still not full grown, and have just moved into the Eglu, but I do feel a 3rd would be a bit cramped if they were to spend lots of time in the run.

Once mine are full grown they will get to free range a bit, but we have dogs, etc . .so it will only be when I can be out with them. So they will spend a lot of time in the run when we are at work, etc. . .

Plus, my god, the poo!! I think Rosemary & Clarisse only poo IN the Eglu now. I clean it out daily. I have started to line the pullout drawer with newspaper to make the clean up quicker & faster.

(ANY HINTS ON QUICK CLEANING OF THE WOODEN PERCHES?)

The more chickens, the more clean up. I do love them though, so they are worth the hassle.

However I personally am glad I stuck with two. I am a huge animal lover though. . .so I have to control myself or I would be living in a zoo.

Currently we have 4 dogs (Saxen, Lily, Pearl & Buddy), 2 cats (Frankie & Bob), 2 cockatiels (Ellen & Mojito), 6 rats (Eddie, Rocky, Lazarus, Lucy, Ethel & Shirley) and the chickens (Rosemary & Clarisse. . .of course). . .

OK. . .I guess I already live in a zoo. . .but that 3rd chicken would have put me over into "crazy"! I'm sure of it. lol

Later!

By the way, 3 of the dogs, both cockatiels, both cats and all of the rats are rescue animals. . .

If there were a place to rescue chickens near me. . .that's where I would have gone. Without that option. . .I still think I ended up with the coolest & most pampered chickens in Kansas. ;-)

A power washer does them in about 5 seconds......If I can't be bothered to get it out, I leave them to soak in hot water with Ecover washing up liquid, and then 1/2 an hour later I give them a bit of a scrub with an old washing up bursh, rinse them, and leave them to dry in the (I use the word cautiously...this is the UK afterall) sunshine. I found it useful to have spare roosting bars, so there are always some dry ones to put in the Eglu right away.

.....There was once a thread about coating the bars with Plasticote. I tried the spray and it was less than useless.

We hose the bars down on high power in just a few seconds Using a long handles wash up brush for hard bits. A second set of bars is helpful so that they dry off.

We went for 3 last Tuesday, receiving them Thursday (as you may have read elsewhere) and have not regretted it. They get on fine in the run and each tend to do their own thing when let out. Often ending up dozing at our feet when we are sat on patio chairs.

A power washer does them in about 5 seconds......If I can't be bothered to get it out, I leave them to soak in hot water with Ecover washing up liquid, and then 1/2 an hour later I give them a bit of a scrub with an old washing up bursh, rinse them, and leave them to dry in the (I use the word cautiously...this is the UK afterall) sunshine. I found it useful to have spare roosting bars, so there are always some dry ones to put in the Eglu right away.

.....There was once a thread about coating the bars with Plasticote. I tried the spray and it was less than useless.

On a weekly basis, I do the hand wash version that Egluntine does, they get a power wash if I can be bothered! I have got a tin of the Plasticote paint (not spray) and haven't had tiem to get round to painting the spare set yet.