sari

what breeds??

A child in my class is a smallish breeder ( well not him, he's 6!, but his parents :o ) and I'm going to have 3 from his mixed flock of POL's. I believe there are Legbars, various Leghorns, Sussexs , Orpingtons. Any advice on this, as I'm a nervous newbie......and am off to choose them this weekend, I think!

Ta from Annie Anxiety x x x :roll:

Sari x x

How exciting.

Legbars lay blue eggs, Sussex are usually a very reliable breed for eggs, Orpingtons are bigger hens than the others. Orpingtons may also prefer a lower perch or even sleep on the floor of a coop whereas the others can handle a higher perch.

If I were you I'd go and just see what takes your fancy.

Just check they have clean eyes, are alert, have clean bottoms etc.

3 is a good number to start out with but be prepared to come away with more. :wink:

Don't. My beloved old man is already warning me " this is it you know....." I can't help it, always wanted chooks, and my youngest wants a goat...we really don't have room for a goat......a smallholding beckons! thanks for teh advice..maybe I'll give the bigger bird a miss.....the chickens are all so pretty.....the mottled leghorns are beauts!

Orps and Sussex are large birds what you choose and how many you choose should be guided by the size of the coop and run you have at home

They are all nice birds, the legbars and leghorns are a little flightier than the heavy breeds though

For egg laying the Leghorn and Sussex are the more productive, the legbars not far behind and the orps are the least productive as a rule

I had 2 medium and 3 large breeds in a mark 2 eglu - their choice, I have 2 eglus :roll:

It is the run size that determines the numbers. If you can't let them free range for most of the day, then I would only recommend 2 with the standard run. 3 with a converter to the run, 4 with converter plus extension etc.

I have 4 in my classic with run extension. The App-Zell isn't that big neither is the App-Zell x silkie the Araucana is a bit bigger and the Orpington is still growing. (They're upgrading to the cube in October) Said I wouldn't get carried away with this chicken lark, that was only 4 weeks ago.

Got my eyes on a Barnevelder, Bielefelder, Croad Langshan, Cream Crested Legbar and something white, when I get some more babies.

So much choice. You'll love it, their great timewasters. Still excited while waiting for first egg.

The run we have, has 3 sections, so I think that's the standard plus a converter?? 3M?? bought 2nd hand so not entirely sure. I intend to have them in the run whilst working, but in Primary School, so home by 3.50 at the latest, so they'll be free ranging til bed time. I'll start with the 3, I think....and then when I win the lottery, get a cube......my Department at work is about to lose 40% of its budget, so won't be buying one any time soon!!

Thanks for all the advice,,,al advice is gratefully received, believe me! :P

Goo gracious its true! I went for three, and cam e away with 4.....a beautiful exchequer leghorn, a pair of sussex rhodie hybrids, and a little legbar, who is being a bit shy, and hiding in the pod...has bben a bit bullied at the breeders, so whether or not the others will do this to her here? but ssssoooooo excited!! they are scratching in the run, eating teh grass, greens etc....