The Dogmother

Milk substitutes

I don't have a problem with cows milk but I like both soya and goats milk - goats milk in particular. The St Helen's Farm brand is the one I prefer, it's not quite as strong and 'goaty' as Delamere Dairy (if that doesn't sound odd :lol: ).

I particularly love a bowl of porridge on a cold winters day made with goats milk and lots of brown sugar sprinkled on top :drool::D

Hi,

A bit late, but just noticed this thread.

We use almost entirely soya milk.

We used to get Alpro and sometimes still do - a factor in choosing it was that the soya is not GM and is also traceable to source - also important if you are concerned about the destruction of natural habitat to grow it (a lot is grown to feed the beef cattle market). The more you think about these things though, the more problems and things to worry about pop up!

We then discovered that Soya Soleil is also made by Alpro, but is quite a bit cheaper. It's also available in unsweetened or sweetened with apple juice varieties. However, it has no added vitamins or minerals, unlike normal Alpro - important to consider for children or if you rely on milk for your calcium uptake.

Coffee and soya milk are a bad combination, unless you are very patient with it!

Well, some results and some thoughts...

I had been having soya milk and all the phlegm-iness etc had vanished, so I tried Lactofree as i was missing the creaminess and taste of milk; the symptoms came back but to a lesser degree, so I think the conclusion is that the issue is with cow's milk rather than just the lactose. It's not a life-threatening thing, I just want to be less snotty and help my digestion. We are finishing the current stock of 'real' milk (organic semi-skimmed) and Lactofree, then i will order in soya milk with Lactofree (organic) for Rosie and for cooking/baking things which call for real milk.

Rice milk was totally vile!

Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions.