Its difficult to critise the eglu but I have ONE problem.

How do I remove the run door securing pin with my fingers in one piece - they reach right through the bars with their beaks which are very pointy !!

I know they're only being enthusiastic, but its currently a 2 'man' job to let them out (one to distract them, one to open run door)

Any ideas ?

H

How do I remove the run door securing pin with my fingers in one piece - they reach right through the bars with their beaks which are very pointy

I've not had this before either. Maybe you could tempt them to the other side of the door with some food while you lift the pin out. Shove something though the mesh. I think Claret's idea is worth a try. I've not seen a sprung loaded one though. Tricky. Maybe a coat hanger would work? I'm sure they'll eventually get to know you are just opening the door and stop the pecking in time. Good luck.

I know what you mean Hazel!

When we first got the girls, they were so keen to get out they 'nibbled' my fingers, when I was pulling out the pin. They will stop eventually :roll: !

I think that the peg is a little stiff as it is so new, it does get looser with age or you could try bending it a little? (not too much though)!

Edited by Guest

I know eggsactly what you you mean - make sure the round bit is pointing outwards, away from the Eglu, then you can usually grab it without being pecked! I pull the pin out, and then use the end of it to prise the Eglu door open.

If I can't do that, I chuck mealworms up the other end of the run - never fails! It's the only way I can refill the food and water without being pecked to bits, or get them back in the run after free-ranging.

as a slightly more 'long term' suggestion...

our bantams had awfully sharp beaks when they arrived.

we put their treats such as seeds or corn onto the concrete path. over a fortnight their little beaks became much more manageable. they are less messy with their pellets and it no longer hurts as much if you get in the way of the odd peck :wink:

good for them and good for us :D

Hi

I think Boo actually sharpens her beak on the patio area deliberately !!!

My husband can get the pin/peg out in one move and so avoid being pecked - but its a bit unpredicatable.

Bribing with sweetcorn would work - but I try to save the bribe to get them back into the run - but I guess they never tire of sweetcorn so a little extra wouldn't hurt.

Am working on a small shield to prevent the pecking in this situation - will post photo when I have a working demo !!

Thanks for all the replies - glad its not just me (if that doesn't sound cruel?!)

H