Aunty e

Help! Tiny Kitten!

I've taken on another cat, somewhat foolishly in my opinion, but there you go. Anyway, it's absolutely tiny, about six weeks old or so, and I'm not sure she's eating enough. She doesn't seem to know how to clean herself (specifically her bum) properly and she's only eating a teeny bit. Does anyone know how much they should eat/weigh and if it's ok to give them a bit of a wash round the botty? she's VERY fluffy and I don't want her to matt.

It is fine to wash her have you got another cat :?

Usually the older one will teach a kitten how to clean itself but it will take time :roll:

It won't eat much at that age but you can get kitten food which is easier for them to eat and digest 8) Wet meat is better than biscuits at the moment to make sure it is getting enough fluids and cat milk is a good idea for a couple of months again for fluids NEVER give cows milk to kittens as they can't digest it but don't keep this up for too long as they don't really need it when they learn to drink water :wink:

Good luck :shock:

Pictures please :lol:

Good on you for taking her on :P

She is young to be away from her Mum, & if she doesn't know how to wash then maybe her Mum couldn't cope with the lits....do you know the background on her?

I would phone the vets & get her checked out, & they will also have feeders & milk for her. They can weigh her & tell you if she is eating enough, maybe she has a worm???

In the past I had reared a litter of 4 Kittens when my cat couldn't cope with them & got mastitis (the cat, not me!)

Its hard work, but worth it.

For her cleaning, I seem to remember having to wipe them with warm cotton wool to help them...er....go :? , but I am sure they learnt how to groom themselves on their own.

She was bred by someone wanting to make a quick buck and sold early because tiny kittens sell for more. :x

I've got her from the people who bought her, who couldn't cope with the fact that she's not really litter trained properly, or capable of getting herself around the house (still v. wobbly on her little legs).

I wondered if she might need worming, but I have to weigh her to see if my one is safe to use on her (as it's for kittens over a certain weight). I'll obviously need to have her vaccinated, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that for a bit. She has done a couple of big poos, so she must be eating something, but when I brought Evie home, she wolfed all of her food down, and this one just picks at it. I gave her some cat milk as suggested, but she's suckling clothes, with I seem to remember means she was taken away from her mother too soon. Evie wants to play with her rather than clean her, although the kitten does copy her (badly) when she washes her face. Arthur is absolutely disgusted with the latest addition and is avoiding her like the plague (probably best, as he could squash her with one big fat maine coon paw). I'll take some pictures tonight. It's hard to get across how tiny she is, maybe I'll put her next to a tennis ball or something.

Kittens rock i still remember when my kittens slept on and around me!

if the kitten is trying to suckle maybe getting one of those hand squeeze turkey basters would help, you could 'suck' up some milk and then gently feed it to the little cutie? of course you would have to careful not to try to feed it too much at once!

kittens are so cute ... echo all of the above, at six weeks she should be able to eat and drink but perhaps stick to fairly fluidy things so she gets enough hydration.

Fine to wash them, even older kittens sometimes need a bit of help! If she's bouncing around and looks ok, then it was probably just the stress of settling in. I think the washing etc is instinctive, she's probably just not making a good job of it - I've never heard of a cat that didn't know how to do this, even hand-reared one.

can't wait to see the pics!

I would agree about getting her to the vets for a once over. I've just had a flick through our cat book (had it out to help diagone one of ours that had to be rushed to the vets the other dady) and it says that kittens can be fed solid food from 3/4 weeks so should be able to survive away from it's mother. It recommeds feeding them stewed meat or fish that has been finely shredded and mixed with gravy. It also says that kittens can be fed with fish baby food! If you go to the vets you could be cheeky and ask for a syringe without the needle, that way if you do feed it baby food you can squirt small amounts into it's mouth to make sure it is eating (same with cat milk/water to make sure it is getting fluids). It goes on to say that kittens from 7 to 12 weeks should be fed 3-5oz of high protein food a day split into 4 meals, then from 3 moths to 6 months 5-7oz split into 3 meals a day. I tried to convince OH when we were at the vets that if we swopped ours for the cute little kitty that no one would notice but he wasn't having any of it, I love them when they are that small.

Sorry for no photos, but my broad band is down. Dilly is doing fine, and has started chasing Evie about the house, so I think is quite happy. She's going to the vets tomorrow for a check up, although she's too young to be vaccinated yet. She spent half an hour suckling my t shirt yesterday, but she's eating with a bit more enthusiasm, which cheered me up no end! Lots of small meals seems to be the key, she just doesn't seem to eat enough to keep her going though still. Might try the fishy baby food thing.

Hi Aunty E,

My two kittens were both 6 weeks old when I got them. You can get lactol which is for kittens and puppies. It is a milk substitue and contains all the vitaims that they need. As you are going to the vets for a check-up the vet might have some. I just mixed it with water and Lilly lapped it up, so much that she hated it when I stopped giving it her, she now has a dose as a treat and she now 2 yrs old :?

Dilly is doing better. The vet gave me some wormer powder and some special food which she's ignoring in favour of shoving arthur (who weighs over a stone) away from his dinner and eating that. She had to have her botty shaved, which she did not enjoy. :(

Still having issues with eating, although Evie has taken on some of the cleaning duties, which is helping. She's not really putting very much weight on, although she is growing which is something. HAve just bought more, and interesting foods to tempt her, as wildly expensive kitten pate is now uninteresting she says.