I usually love the rain, but the last few days it's been raining so much and the inside of our WIR is soaked around the edges. We had assumed that the back of the WIR would be dry as it's right next to the boundary fence and also has the gutters on that end, but that seems to be the wettest part.

I've just gone onto the tarpaflex site and tried to order about £150 of tarps and various bits and pieces and 3 times my payment hasn't gone through, despite trying 2 different cards :wall::wall::wall:

I'm just a bit worried about all the rapport in the WIR getting soggy and causing harm to the hens. Just hoping that a few days of sogginess won't cause any problems :?

It has been really wet these past few days. I think part of the problem is the direction of the rain and I've positioned tarpaulin etc to stop the worst of it but when the rain is horizontal there is nothing much anyone can do.

I'm sure the chickens will manage for a few soggy days as long as their house is dry.

Expensive business this chicken keeping...

It has been really wet these past few days. I think part of the problem is the direction of the rain and I've positioned tarpaulin etc to stop the worst of it but when the rain is horizontal there is nothing much anyone can do.

I'm sure the chickens will manage for a few soggy days as long as their house is dry.

Expensive business this chicken keeping...

Very expensive. I daren't even try to add up what we've spent out over the last few months, but it's going into thousands :shock:

Hi, There is a cheaper alternative, I've used the material from a rather large windbreaker, it has clear windows in places to allow some light but it also provides shade in the summer, I have not gone all the the way round the WIR, maybe two thirds, just covering where the worst of the weather gets in, they come in a variety of sizes and colours and are available on ebay, or look out for sales in camping shops at this time of year. Regards Theresa

Mine isn't too bad but at the one end that's not covered with a clear tarp is now letting in some rain, its under a tree but now the leaves are falling they aren't acting as a natural umbrella. So a new clear tarp has been ordered.

I have also noticed a small amount of seepage from the top of the railway sleepers under the frame. My WIR sits on railway sleepers) the seepage is minimal about half inch in one place - so OH has put some clear silicone bathroom caulk along the outside (this was done once the chickens had gone to bed - I didn't want them pecking it)

Another tip - make sure that the sides are fixed in someway (I use cuphooks on the frame and an eyelet on the tarp)once the tarp blind is down the sides will flap in the wind, not only will it stop the rain getting in it will reduce the chance of the tarp getting caught in the wind and ripping.

You could rake up the damp bits and mix it in with some of the dry bedding. You could also sprinkle some Stalosan F over the damp bits which will help to dry it up :) .

Hadn't thought of that, good idea :D

Mine isn't too bad but at the one end that's not covered with a clear tarp is now letting in some rain, its under a tree but now the leaves are falling they aren't acting as a natural umbrella. So a new clear tarp has been ordered.

I have also noticed a small amount of seepage from the top of the railway sleepers under the frame. My WIR sits on railway sleepers) the seepage is minimal about half inch in one place - so OH has put some clear silicone bathroom caulk along the outside (this was done once the chickens had gone to bed - I didn't want them pecking it)

Another tip - make sure that the sides are fixed in someway (I use cuphooks on the frame and an eyelet on the tarp)once the tarp blind is down the sides will flap in the wind, not only will it stop the rain getting in it will reduce the chance of the tarp getting caught in the wind and ripping.

Our WIR is also on top of sleepers, hadn't thought that rain might seep in there, so will have to look. Silicone sounds a good idea, I'm sure we have some of that.

Well I ordered all the tarpaulins yesterday over the phone and thank goodness my card was accepted! So today they have arrived and now I need to wait for OH to get home and maybe put some of them up on a temporary basis till we work it all out. I know we need to get some cuphooks but not sure what to use at the bottom. I can't remember if it was your pics that had the tarps rolled up on wood that made them look like blinds :?: