Laura007

bonfire!

There are new rules about bonfires - so beware any farmers/builders burning s"Ooops, word censored!" wood - they are not allowed to burn any treated wood now.

We're left with a pile of offcuts from all the fencing poles - which are treated wood.........

....any other farmer would burn them, despite the rules :roll:

I have just found the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005: I imagine that this is what Lesley is referring to.

This is a good weapon to wave against anyone having an unreasonable bonfire. I don't burn old fences, because I put the ash on my garden and don't want anything toxic there: but there are people who do, and it makes a dreadful smell. Some people throw old paint on to get bonfires burning.

I've just read through the above Regulations (they ought to make legal requirements more readable), and it says:

There is an exclusion from these controls for domestic waste which displays hazardous properties but not if it comprises asbestos waste or is collected separately. In both cases, the Regulations do not impose obligations directly on householders.

So it looks as though people are allowed to burn fences in their back gardens after all.

There are new rules about bonfires - so beware any farmers/builders burning s"Ooops, word censored!" wood - they are not allowed to burn any treated wood now.

We're left with a pile of offcuts from all the fencing poles - which are treated wood.........

....any other farmer would burn them, despite the rules :roll:

I'll have them for my woodburner :D