Could someone explain to me why the eglu is fox proof. Surely just because the eglu has a mesh border around it wouldn't deter the fox unless the fox is a bit thick because if the fox was to start digging on the outside of the mesh border he could tunnel his way in. I'm a bit thick when it comes to things like this so much advice would be appreciated.

Apparently foxes are a bit dim and if they can't get in via the direct route (ie where the run meets the ground) they don't think to start digging further out. The only bit that has proved vulnerable (and I think this is only when the run is on soft ground) is where the run meets the eglu, where there is no skirt. Most people who know they have foxes around put paving slabs there but I must admit I haven't - the foxes that live in the woods up the hill have not found us yet!

The Mark 2 Eglu (which has a solid base, unlike the Mark 1) is fox-proof. Provided that you lock it at night, a fox cannot get in.

The run is not fox-proof, but is fox-resistant in that foxes do seem to be thwarted by the skirt. I have had foxes hanging around the Eglu, but none has ever tried to dig its way in.

But be careful if you have very light soil: it makes it easy to exploit the weakness around the Eglu. I think that the Mark 2 Eglu now comes with an extra bit of skirt to go under the Eglu for safety: perhaps someone with a new Mark 2 could clarify if this is the case. If it isn't, it is best to put the Eglu on a slab or two. As soon as my Mark 3 comes and I have somewhere else to put my chickens, I am going to try this. I imagine it is difficult getting the slabs exactly right so that the run sits tightly on the soil: if the Eglu sits too high, that could produce a gap.

I got some big ones for free from a neighbour Gallina. Digging them in was a real pain as the soil there is very hard. It took the best part of a weekend to put them under the eglu and the first part of the run, along the edges of the run skirt and along the front of the run by the door. It's now a lot less muddy by the run door when it rains and the eglu is secure. Given the choice, I would've gone for small slabs as they'd have been easier to manoeuver.

But be careful if you have very light soil: it makes it easy to exploit the weakness around the Eglu. I think that the Mark 2 Eglu now comes with an extra bit of skirt to go under the Eglu for safety: perhaps someone with a new Mark 2 could clarify if this is the case.

Yes it is

though I being naughty didnt attach them and instead put some newspaper between then and slid them under to catch the poo that goes through the bottom of the nextbox

It's such a pity that you can't buy these pieces separately. I will have to try and persuade Omlet that I am not the only Mark 2 owner who would like to buy a pair.

I can't put the whole run on slabs, as my poor chickens spend too much time in there, and they so love to dig craters.

The Mark 2 Eglu (which has a solid base, unlike the Mark 1) is fox-proof. Provided that you lock it at night, a fox cannot get in.

The run is not fox-proof, but is fox-resistant in that foxes do seem to be thwarted by the skirt.

Hi

Having read about a fox attact on the Chicken forum, I'm quite worried now. My Mark 2 eglu and run are on a heavy clay soil that is difficult to dig.

It is also pegged down and there are some 4x4 wooden posts around the edges to keep the bark chippings in - so it can't be lifted by me, let alone a fox.

Does anyone know of a fox getting into the run of a Mark 2 eglu ?

H

Having read about a fox attact on the Chicken forum, I'm quite worried now.

Does anyone know of a fox getting into the run of a Mark 2 eglu ? H

..please note, the fox attack you refer to was when the hens had been let out to freerange, out of the run.

I only know of one run attack when a fox dug at the weakest/shortest point, the corner where the skirt ends and the Eglu & run meet. This can be easily avoided with heavy slabs (not just bricks) or planted pot or similar, making the Eglu & run an incredibly safe place.

So, please don't alarm yourself, everyone just has to take the risks or precautions that suit them & their garden.