Ygerna

Skimmed milk Yogurt

Yep, I make it all the time :D

I have a Lakeland yoghurt maker although I am sure it would work just the same in a thermos.

I use 1 tbsp Yeo Valley as a starter (find one with the longest use by date so the cultures are as active as possible) the add 2tbsp skimmed milk powder and 1 litre UHT skimmed milk. I simply mix together and put into the yogurt maker but if you are making it the thermos flask way you will need to heat the milk to blood temperature and pour over the yoghurt starter and skimmed milk powder.

8 hours later = thick, creamy yoghurt!

Three tips I have picked up:

The milk powder is necessary to make a thick yoghurt. You can leave it out and it will still be yoghurt, just very runny.

Don't touch, move, peek at, stir or indeed look in the direction of the yoghurt while it is 'yogging'. This seems to disturb the process and you just end up with warm milk. Resist the temptation to peek!

You can freeze left over starter yoghurt in ice cube trays. You won't need to use a whole pot to start a batch, just 1 tbsp, so freeze the rest in ice cube trays and as use needed (allow to defrost before adding milk and powder). They seem to work just as well when defrosted.

Happy skinny yoghurt making! :D

I made yoghurt for the first time this week.

I did use semi skimmed as that is all I had.

Heat the milk to 46C and then add 2 tbsps of live yoghurt.

Whisk to mix and put in a sterile jar/thermos/Lock&Lock :wink: and keep somewhere warm.

I used a Le Parfait jar and left it wrapped in a tea towel on a warm-ish radiator overnight.

Lovely thick creamy yoghurt. Don't see why it wouldn't work with skimmed milk.

3 or 4 days. :D

That's how long it keeps because it gets eaten so quickly! :lol::drool:

But it does keep longer than that - look at the use by dates on supermarket yoghurt as a guide, often nearly 2 weeks ahead if you can find a really fresh one.

True ...but the home made variety doesn't have preservatives and other nasties in it, so I find it goes a little sour if not eaten quickly - which doesn't happen often. Also it does tend to separate a bit. I just tip the runny stuff away (or if you need some buttermilk for soda bread, save it, as it is a reasonable substitute) and carry on eating. :D

I've won an easi yo yogurt maker from freecycle this week :D

It's just the flask & the inner pot.

Do you think that this would work to make yogurt from scratch( & not from an easi yo sachet) ? It if so, will I need to heat the milk first or not?

I'm looking forward to eating the yogurt on my Harcombe diet- not started it yet as the books haven't arrived.

You can definitely make "normal" yoghurt in an easiyo as well as the sachets. I imagine you would have to heat the milk first (either scald normal pasteurised milk and let cool to blood temp, or heat UHT to blood temp - no need to scald first). The flask should then keep it at the correct temp, I think you add boiling water to the flask? I think you just have to try it and see.

I use Penguinmad's recipe for home made yougurt in my easiyo yogurt maker.

2 tablespoons of powdered milk

2 tablespoons of yogurt ( either plain Yeo Valley natural or the remains of the last home made pot)

1 pint full cream UHT milk (or boiled normal milk)

Half fill the Easiyo inner pot with UHT milk and the powdered milk and give it a really good shake.

Add the remaining milk and shake again.

Fill the Easiyo flask with boiling water put in inner pot and leave overnight.

Refridgerate before eating.

I have also made this with semi skimmed UHT milk and the resulting yogurt was just as nice as the full cream version.

You can use fresh milk but it needs to be scalded before you make yoghurt with it. Basically you need to kill off as many bacteria present in the milk as possible, so that you are growing only the good bacteria that turns milk into yoghurt (acidophilus, lactobacillus etc) and not any baddies lurking in the milk that might stop the yoghurt from yogging properly (or if you're really really unlucky, give you an upset tummy).