Smidge

Biggest hens egg so far!!

Hi to everyone

I would just like to announce to the site that we have just had our largest egg ever laid.

It weighs 101g. It's enormous!!!! :shock:

I feel so sorry for the hen that laid it. Apart from that we are getting three eggs a day weighing approximately 78-85g each. Could you tell me if that is good. Cos I think its fantastic!!!

One of my hens laid one that was 102g, and it was so astonishing that I took it to work to show my colleagues. (Sad, or what?!) All the women expressed sympathy for the hen, and all the men just said something like "Wow, that's a big egg!".

It was a double yolker, the size of the yolks were normal sized rather than small ones - like two eggs in one. My daughter had hoped it would be a triple yolker - do they ever do them?

I've had two 100g eggs - made my eyes water just to pick them up! :shock: The first one was a double-yolker. The second one I gave to my friend for her daughter, as she is very interested in the chickens and I bet she's never seen a double-yolked egg before - havent' had a report back but I'm sure it will be a double.

Is it bad for the hens to lay these enormous eggs? (not that I can stop them, really ...) Hilda has laid an egg every day since 12th March without a break.

My three new Rhode Islands started with sweet bantam size eggs but within a few weeks are laying enormous double yolkers.

I feel very sorry for them.

Apparently it's because they are new layers and their bodies haven't adjusted properly. Too fast ovulation, that sort of thing.

My first three hybrids have never produced a double yolker, wonder if it's genetic or something....? :?:

Well today was the day when we opened our large egg.

Would you believe we were so eggcited to get a double yolker but on opening it , it only turned out to be a single yolk. Maybe next time it will be a double yolker!!!

Hi to everyone

I would just like to announce to the site that we have just had our largest egg ever laid.

It weighs 101g. It's enormous!!!! :shock:

I feel so sorry for the hen that laid it. Apart from that we are getting three eggs a day weighing approximately 78-85g each. Could you tell me if that is good. Cos I think its fantastic!!!