JohnP

Chickens have arrived!

Yay - our Eglu and chickens have arrived. :D

A very nice chap dropped them all off. He was slightly bemused by the fact that we hadn't ordered a run but, nonetheless, he got us introduced to our chickens and then was on his way. We spent a while getting the Eglu plumbed properly into the run and then spent some more time just getting to know Kirsty, Lola and Martha. (The run is a converted greenhouse with no glass and instead wrapped in chicken wire. I had decided it wasn't wise to cut the hole for it until I actually had one to check against!) All three girls are Gingernuts, although Martha is a lot lighter in colour than the other two. Lola's youngest (smaller, paler comb), Martha's flightiest, and Kirsty seems to be dominant.

There some photos here if anyone wants to have a look!

8) How exciting John, lovely hens.

I'm just worried that whilst the chickenwire will contain hens, it will not keep out a fox.

Don't want to put a dampner on the day, but would rather say now.

It was interesting to see the pics, I couldn't imagine the conversion before.

Anyway, congratulations and welcome to the world of chickenkeeping. :)

Great idea for a run - and lovely girls too :D . John, is the chicken wire attached to the eglu in any way? I would be worried that a fox would just pull it back where they meet. I think I've seen pics of something similar but the mesh was stapled onto the front of the eglu. (sorry, don't want to put a dampner on things either, better to be safe than sorry).

Yes, that's right. I didn't have a problem with foxes so that suited us fine. The Eglu was by the back door and we're surrounded by big barking dogs so we've never had a fox anywhere near the house. They are now in a different run with much tougher wire panels which is actually fox proof now.

is the chicken wire attached to the eglu in any way? I would be worried that a fox would just pull it back where they meet.

The wire is fastened to the Eglu by the bolts that normally hold the Omlet run, plus two screws at the sides in the long gap. It's also fastened to the greenhouse all around, including at the bottom. I don't think anything's getting around the wire - it's just a case of armour plating the lower part so that nothing can get through it, either!

Wow, well done on the run John....ingenious idea :idea::clap:

Your girls look lovely and I LOVE their names !!

Also.....your garden looks lovely.....what a great backdrop behind the chickens...what a great view they have to wake up to every day...lovely sunny fields...FAB :dance:

Glad to hear the girls have arrived safely and are settling in well. By the way you can get the layers pellets and all manner of other looking after chickeny things at the farmshop in Willingham - I think these are the closes to Cambridge. They'll be lating in a few weeks and then the excitement begins all over again!