WitchHazel

Pogo has disappeared

We have 8 Girls in our garden, and we also keep chooks on our allotment (a flock of 5 laydees who lay, a breeding flock of 4, and a flock of 4 dinner chickens we've raised from eggs.

The allotment is surrounded by Heras fencing (the sort developers use to keep people out) which is partially buried, and that is surrounded by working electric fencing.

Today when DH went down to check everyone, he found only 4 Laydees-who-Lay; Pogo was nowhere to be found. He and the Other Chap (who does the chickens with us) spent ages looking for her outside the allotment. Eventually some distance way they found feathers, so it's a fairly safe bet that she's gone. :(

We don't think a fox got in. We don't know whether a smaller predator got in asomehow and took her, or whether she perhaps manged to fly over the Heras fencing (perhaps via the top of their coop), and then got taken.

Pogo (and her sisters) were the first chicks we hatched ourselves from our own eggs. I'm so sad that she's gone. And a bit worried that if she was taken from inside the pen, the predator will be back... but there isn't anything else we can sensibly do to give them any more protection.

This happened to me too :( One of my chooks seemed to disappear, then a while later I found feathers in the neighboring field, and finally her in a pool of her feathers. No remorse for foxes anymore, but you certainly seem to be handling it better than I did.

Good luck with the rest, hope whatever it may have been gets it's comeuppance.

Ashlyn xx