scarlettohara

Sabelpoot bantams

We have 3 millefleur sablepoots (we just call them the poots :D ) We absolutely love them. I know you shouldn't have favorites but shhhhh they are mine :!:

They have the sweetest nature and ohhhhhhh so pretty. They live in an eglu with the pekins & they are so very happy :D They are about 9mths old and all 3 started to lay about 2 wks ago :D

We will be showing 2 of them at the Peebles Championship Show later this month. Wish us luck :!:

Here they are as 6mth olds :!::!: Aren't they sweet :?:

PA021056.jpg

It's my broody Silkies fault I'm hatching the Poots :lol: She was broody for ages and I hoped she'd see sense as it was so cold but she's my best broody and determined. I acquirred some Silkie eggs and the law of sod made sure she wasn't broody by the time they arrived. It would be foolish to fire up the incy just for six eggs :lol: So I bought 24 more eggies on Ebay :wall: Most were duds :wall: Five of the six Silkie eggs have made it this far :lol:

Just a very quick word about sablepoots. They absolutely don't like cold, wet or otherwise imperfect conditions. Our poots run is completely enclosed & not exposed in anyway to cold, nasty conditions. Whilst they can free range anytime their run is always open for them to return to. They have hemcore in their run to keep their feathery feet dry. They will not thrive in wet, muddy conditions.

Good luck with your hatchings :D

Alli xx

If I was going to get more chickens that weren't ex-batts I would definitely get Sabelpoots. I met a lady before I got my ex-batts who had hundreds of chickens of all sorts of breeds, my favourites were definitely the poots, they were so sweet and VERY affectionate. I just loved them. She didn't have any for sale, otherwise I would have got some there and then. I can't imagine they wouldn't be popular - if they aren't, they should be!

Just a very quick word about sablepoots. They absolutely don't like cold, wet or otherwise imperfect conditions. Our poots run is completely enclosed & not exposed in anyway to cold, nasty conditions. Whilst they can free range anytime their run is always open for them to return to. They have hemcore in their run to keep their feathery feet dry. They will not thrive in wet, muddy conditions.

Good luck with your hatchings :D

Alli xx

Thanks Ali - my pekins are treated like that too so they will be fine while they are with me :D

Lovely breed but please be wary of the fact that they are very prone to Mareks and hatching with other breeds isn't a great idea. I speak from experience here, hatched 4 along with 28 other different chicks and lost all 4 and 18 of the others over the course of 4 days. There's no medicine either :( They become immune to it (if I remember rightly) about 7-8 months old.