Hello tracyann.

From other comments on this forum, straw is not such a good idea, as, being hollow, it can harbour mites. Hay is also a :talk2hand: as it can have spores which affect the breathing.

The thing many omleteers seem to be crazy about is 'Aubiose' which is a sort of horse bedding that looks like woodchips but which is in fact made out of recycled car interiors. This is what I use now and I have to say that it is brilliant :!: It absorbs moisture really well, making it very easy to poo pick and a little goes a long way. I use it for my chooks and my doves, do a daily poo pick and a weekly total clean and I'm still on the same bale that I was on well before Christmas and have about half still to go. You can get it from Omlet now, I think, and probably from horse feed suppliers.

I believe that Rapport is something similar.

I'm not sure what Cozy Coop is.

Hello tracyann.

The thing many omleteers seem to be crazy about is 'Aubiose' which is a sort of horse bedding that looks like woodchips but which is in fact made out of recycled car interiors. .

Recycled car interiors :shock: where did you get that from :lol: it's hemp :D

Hello tracyann.

The thing many omleteers seem to be crazy about is 'Aubiose' which is a sort of horse bedding that looks like woodchips but which is in fact made out of recycled car interiors. .

It is Hemp, but it's also a by-product of the manufacture of car interiors :wink: ......also reputed to be in short supply!!

Hello tracyann.

It is Hemp, but it's also a by-product of the manufacture of car interiors :wink: ......also reputed to be in short supply!!

Oops :doh: Case of making two and two into five :oops:

Hi tracyann

i used to use chopped straw in the nest box and wood shavings in the poo tray which was ok, but now use easibed and i'd say its much better and makes things a lot easier. I have never been able to get hold of auboise anywhere either, so don't know what its like, but easibed is great at soaking everything up so you can just pick out the poo, whereas with the straw and wood shavings i was changing all of it everyday. A big bag of easibed lasts us ages :clap: i would reccommed it.

I used hemcore for a while but when i had my girls on a mud base instead of slabs. Worked well but i always had one chook with malteser toes (Balls of mud and fibres cemented to each claw) I couldn't fine Aubiose although it's practically the same. I used woodchip now and my girls are on slabs (because of a ratty problem from under my shed). I get it from rosehill hatchery and its about £5-£6 or so for a bale the size of a fridge