LuckyChickenLover-

A warning to any pigeons out there...

When I let my girls FR around the garden, I leave the run door open so that my chooks can get at their food and water. One brave pigeon thought that HE would like some food too, so he waddled into the run and started stuffing his face with food. BIG MISTAKE! My two chooks cornered him and attcked him. We managed to stop the girls pecking at him, and he flew off, minus a few feathers. :lol: We didn't find any blood fortunately, so I don't think they hurt him too badly. Maybe he'll think twice next time he wants a free lunch :lol:

We had a fat pigeon visit our garden once, it landed on the wheely bin then crash landed on our feeble excuse of a lawn........not seeing the chooks in the assorted bushes around the edge of the lawn......suddenly there was lots of squawking and feathers flying as 5 chooks of assorted sizes ambushed the pigeon ( Snowy was too slow to join in the fun). The pigeon managed a get away while I distracted the chooks with the corn jar.

We have a blackbird that visits the garden and the chooks take no notice of him at all.

This happened to us too, only I had to entice the 2 girls out with treats because the pigeon was too dumb to find his way out. In the end, we had to close the door with the pigeon still inside and then open up the rear of the run and hoped the pigeon got out that way.He did - but he never came back :lol:

As well as my chickens, I have three little white doves. I guess you could say that these are really white pigeons, but luckily they get along really well with my chooks. The chickens like haning around under the dovecote to get fallen grain and the little doves like picking up any bits that the chickens leave. Also if my cockerel gives a loud warning squawk the doves have learnt that he means "Hawk or cat on the war path " and they quickly head for home. When it is sunny they all sunbath together, often side by side, in the most sunny part of the garden - rather sweet to see.

My girls have got in the habit of chasing blackbirds around the garden. They get exhausted though as we encourage wild birds into the garden. They have found the ground feed which happens to be far more expensive than thier corn and layers put together, must be why they enjoy it so much!! Sorry blackbirds!

Hi Just a word of warning when allowing chucks to mingle with wild birds, high rates of Coxidiosis will be about, so be on the look out for any symptoms. I losy my little Holly just after Christmas to suspected Coxidiosis. I have now cordoned off the wild bird feeder section with netting and treat the area weekly with Stalafson F as a preventative measure.