Chucky Mama

Price of a hybrid *Update*

I am chicken shopping this weekend as I am down to 2 birds after loosing 2 this week. I am looking at getting 3 hybrids and 1 of them that I am interested in (blue egg layer 90% chance) will be £40 :anxious: Do you think that's too much? The other potential blue layers (70% chance) and will be £25 and the standard hybrids will be £18 which I guess is pretty standard. They are all vaccinated etc

I might be wrong but the place I got my hybrids from sells Skylines for less than £25....though, they probably cost more now.

If the chances are still only 90%, I'd say £40 is too high. For a guaranteed blue egg, maybe but to pay £40 when you may end up with a normal hybrid...seems very steep!! :think:

I have 3 Skyline/Columbine hybrids...they lay blue/green eggs...I paid £18.00 each for them in 2010. Hybrids from the same place were priced at £12.00 each. I think if you were looking at buying a pure breed blue/green egg layer I would expect to pay more but I think £40.00 for a blue/green hybrid is a bit on the pricey side...only my opinion.

I paid £25.00 for my pure breed RIR at the end of last year. I paid £15.00 for each of my hybrids at the same time. I think £15.00 is about the norm for a hybrid at the moment?

I have definitely seen a rise in the prices of hybrids since I got my original girls in 2008. I paid £10.00 for my original 3 hybrid girls.

Hope this helps.

OUT OF CURIOSITY...I just rang the place where I bought my Skyline/Columbines from...they charge £18.50 for them now...an increase of 50p...all their other hybrids are now £14.50. They have a new thing...a hybrid of the month...priced at £9.50...which this month is a Magpie hybrid...very pretty they are too...my Gertrude is a Magpie

I would be inclined to ask for reassurances of the 90% promise - if they are quite new do they have records of numbers bred and feedback on the colour egg etc..

£40 is a lot of money, you could get guaranteed blue eggs for less money by buying from a really good quality strain of Cream Legbars or Araucanas but I guess you'd lose the winter eggs that way

I guess if its to be a much loved pet for at least a few years then £40 is probably worth it - think of it that way maybe rather than comparing the price from bird to bird or supplier to supplier

Last year I paid £13.50 for my hybrids. The LS and RIR were about £9 and I paid £11 for 6 week old CLB chicks.

In short I think £40 for a hybrid even if it does lay blue eggs is an awful lot and I wouldn't pay it.

However, the question is do you like it, if you like the look of it and its temperament then it doesn't matter how much it costs.

My Skyline was £18 last year ... and she keeled over within about three months. I'm afraid I couldn't bring myself to pay £40 for a bird when the risk of that happening is so high!

I paid £15 for an 8 week old Cream Legbar. I had her less than 3 months, she never got to lay before she became ill and I paid £39 for her to be PTS and cremated. I was a bit gutted so, personally, I wouldn't pay £40 for a bird.

I bought my birds on 8 February this year and paid £14.00 a bird, I have a Magpie, a Speckeldy, a Bovan Nera and a Bluebelle, they are 21 weeks old on Tuesday so haven't laid an egg yet.

£40.00 is a bit steep though I think, I would shop around and go by recommendations. Ask on here if there is anywhere that anyone can recommend that are near you, that's what I did and I have some beautiful girls.

If you really want one, go for it! Although it is a lot of money for one hen, and you could get something similar for less, I have paid that amount for a White silkie frizzle bantam and have never regretted it. She has given me hours of pleasure, and her little eggs are all the more special!

i got my hybrids 12 feb i have a amber star£13 gold star ranger£11 and a bluebell £13 he hab sold all his ones that lay blue green eggs but they only £16. mine are bout 20wks havent had a egg yet but crouching so soon i hope. £40 is very exspensive my hubby would go mad if i paid that for a hen. even though id love one that lays blue green eggs. maybe when i make my flock bigger.

I guess you have to ask yourself what if you spend £40 and the eggs are not blue, how would you feel. If it wouldn't really bother you that much then that's okay but if you really want blue eggs it does seem expensive. Shame the breeder can't keep a hen for you till it lays so that she knows what colour the eggs are :lol:

if thats the fenton rose theres a place in stafford that has them listed at £20 but they want be ready till june

They have a Fenton Blue with is the virtually guaranteed blue egg layer @ £40. Their Fenton Roses are going to be about £25 I think it was. I may just go for a Rose and a couple of £18 hybrids.

i paid £11 gold star ranger £13 for my amder star and bluebell. that was 12 feb. they 20 wks crouching but no eggs yet. the ones that may lay blue eggs were£16 but they had sold out.they are vacinated as well.think that a good price wouldnt pay £40 my hbby would kill me!!!