Janty

Ebay help please.

Can anybody help with an ebay problem?

I sold an item and had to wait 9 days for the payment to be made. I sent the parcel economy delivery as stated on the advert but it has still not arrived. I sent the parcel on 23rd Feb.

Despite e-mailing the buyer a copy of the proof of postage, I get daily e-mails accusing me of not sending it and demanding his money back. I have been to the post office and they have said that they cannot accept a claim until 15 working days after the parcel was sent so my hands are tied. I have relayed all of the information to the buyer but he keeps telling me to send the parcel or give him his money back. I can almost feel the anger from the e-mails as some of them are barely readable.

I have explained that I have no problem refunding him once the post office confirm that it is missing and accept the claim. I can't see what else I can do. I have tried saying that I can understand that it is not his fault but that it isn't mine either and we would get a lot further if his e-mails were less confrontational.

Has anybody else sent a parcel which has gone missing? How did it turn out?

Thanks

i've sent rather a lot(think hundreds +) over the last 3 yrs, and only one hasn't shown up. Hold your nerve, and tell your ebay buyer to hold theirs, It'll more than likely appear. has there been any weather issues between the dates on the route it would be taking?

So sorry, sounds like you have a right eejit there :evil:

I've had three parcels go missing when selling (have total feedback of over 500 on two accounts) and all my buyers were more than happy to wait the 15 working days. After that I just refunded (all low value though) and waited for RM to refund me, which they did, minus the postage of course :evil:

What a pain :evil: You really need to wait until Royal Mail refund you. During the compensation process you file the claim and Royal Mail will send them a letter asking them to confirm that they didn't receive the item. If they respond within 10 days you will get your refund. If they don't, Royal Mail don't pay anything as they assume that it has been received in the meantime. In my experience, when you pay someone straight away, they ignore the letter from Royal Mail. If their money is at stake, they answer it :wink:

It is also worth getting them to call at their nearest sorting office as it may well be sitting waiting for them there. Fewer and fewer posties leave the 'sorry you were out' cards these days and so no one knows that something is awaiting collection.

i've sold hundreds of things through Ebay and have occasionally had parcels go missing.

In all the cases I've had (I think there have been 3 or 4, all of them when I used Recorded Delivery :roll: ), the Buyers have been fine. I have always explained the Post Office position about "lost" and I ask them to wait until XX (whatever seems reasonable according to the postage method and time of year). If it hasn't turned up by them, I refund them, even though it isn't the the 15 days required by the Post Office.

The reason I do this is that I have also been on the receiving (or rather, non receiving end) of parcels that have gone astray, and as a buyer that's how I would want to be treated.

I've not had any problems getting my money back from Royal Mail, it's a few forms to fill in , a lot of documentation to send, and it just takes a while.

The fact that your buyer is being a bit of a would sway me towards making him wait the 15 days, although I can also imagine I would refund him just to get him to shut up.

I usually avoid Royal Mail now try and send things by Courier now (use parcel2go or parcel-link for good prices) as these are often cheaper than Royal Mail, they pick up from my house, and I get online tracking. Of course that isn't always a good option for light or low value items.

Hazel

First of all, how did he pay?

Because if he paid by Paypal,he could open a claim against you & get his money back that way.

Personally,I would refund him ,but less the postage you charged him,as the RM will not refund this to you.

Then just make your own claim to the RM for the amount & wait for your refund....and wait...and wait...& call them up...and wait....you WILL get it eventually,& probably in the form of stamps to the value of.

I suspect the numpty will neg you whatever happens.

Just for reference,I put a disclaimer on my listings that they MUST be paid with a week,or the transaction will ba cancelled. Might be worth you doing the same :D

I've posted hundreds of Ebay parcels too and have only had one (to South Africa) not arrive. I did send one to France which took over a month to arrive :roll: , just after I'd refunded the guy. He paid me back when it arrived 8) .

So, it sounds like you've just been really unlucky getting a buyer like that. I'd try to ignore his nasty emails - you're doing all you can to sort it.

I would wait for Royal Mail and follow their procedure. He agreed to normal posting ie it wasnt recorded as he didnt pay extra for that service so he has to wait just like you do.

Stand firm he sounds unreasonable. If he is being rude make sure you keep his emails and tell him as soon as you hear anything you will keep him informed at all times of any progress etc and that he will have to fill out a form from Royal Mail etc his end. As I say he paid for normal postage.

If he is being rude tell him you can only respond if he communicates politely and that you find his emails threatening.

(tell him this).

Keep all communication.

Good luck Donald

There is always the possibility that he did receive it - there are some nasty people in Ebayland.

That thought crossed my mind too, Clootie.

I don't Ebay often, but when I do I always send recorded delivery, as much so that I know the item has been received as for the buyer to know I've sent it.

I recently sold several cross stitch magazines on Eaby and posted them all recorded delivery. I thankfully had honest buyers as 2 were still listed on RM website as being processed and it turns out the postie had just put them through the door without the signature.

I find it strange that they've not filed a claim and are hasslling you for the refund, that would leed me to believe that he/she has received it and are just trying their luck.

I've also had recorded delivery mail go missing on it's way to me or so the seller told me but the seller refused to give me the tracking number!? Strange me thinks.

I hope it all turns out well for you.

No it's not my buyer although my buyer also thinks that I am being unreasonable. They have told ebay that I have not responded to any of their messages. As I pointed out to ebay and them, this can clearly be checked through the messaging system. There's no point lying over such things. My last message says that once the RM verify that they haven't received it then they will get a full refund. They got stroppy at this point, said that it wasn't good enough and started writing in capitals. They are quite funny messages. You can feel the steam coming off the page. They have been awful to other people...their feedback from sellers talks about rudeness, etc.

one to block me thinks! I don't know why people have to be so rude. I know how frustrating it is to wait for something to turn up you have won off ebay. But I also know how frustrating it is to have someone buy a car off you and then not pay, or contact you or answer any emails. And then disappear off ebay altogether :x I hope it gets sorted soon, and I wouldn't respond to their threatening emails/messages. Or if you do, only to say you will wait to x date before responding as there is literally nothing you can do regarding reimbursement until then.