We have our tarpaulin held down by bungees - but they are pulled out to each side so that they make a slope (if you can imagine this) and therefore the rain runs down the sides and because of the incline there is still a dry area about the width of the fox proof apron so that inside the run is kept dry. Pulling the rarpauline tight like that alos makes it look better but if iti s warm just just uncip the bungee and roll up the sides. Maybe this could be a solution?

After a bit of deliberation, some planning, and a little hard work, we've successfully installed a plastic roof on the WIR:

IMG_1827.jpg

4 x 2.4m sheets of corrugated plastic, each cut in half, held on with roofing bolts, then a 2m long section of guttering to act as a ridge.

Here's a close-up showing how it's attached to the roof mesh panels:

IMG_1829.jpg

Hope you'll all agree it looks much better than a market stall now!

New girls now almost fully settled - still a few reminders of who's boss by the older girls but everyone seems happy enough now - they seem to like the roof too :D

That looks like a great idea.....but......from what I can see it looks like the rain will be running off the roof over the door and down your neck? Or am I looking at it from the wrong direcion?

Hadn't thought of that! :oops:

We'll have to see if it becomes a problem when the April showers arrive. If it does prove to be an issue, the good news is that it'd only take half an hour or so to reshuffle the panels and put the door on the other side :wink:

Good luck putting yours together next week! I'm sure you won't have any problems. My only advice is to get someone else to help out (for the roof especially) - and to follow the instructions (unlike me :roll:! ) Are you putting it on slabs, or straight onto the ground?

That looks like a great idea.....but......from what I can see it looks like the rain will be running off the roof over the door and down your neck? Or am I looking at it from the wrong direcion?

Hadn't thought of that! :oops:

We'll have to see if it becomes a problem when the April showers arrive. If it does prove to be an issue, the good news is that it'd only take half an hour or so to reshuffle the panels and put the door on the other side :wink:

Good luck putting yours together next week! I'm sure you won't have any problems. My only advice is to get someone else to help out (for the roof especially) - and to follow the instructions (unlike me :roll:! ) Are you putting it on slabs, or straight onto the ground?

Maybe it won'tbe a problem if you manage to attach a narrow guttering to the front at an angle as Plum suggested... (Hint: Put a hydrangea in a container where the water flows out of the guttering -it'll stop any flooding of the run and it'll love it! You get decoration too :wink: )

Thanks, I'm looking forward to giving the girls more room - and I love building up flat-packs. I like the challenge of trying to do it without the instructions too ;) I was going to put it on slabs, but it's going to be a sort of compromise....The cube and first part of the run on the 'patio' slabs already down, then the rest on the grass (lol) until all the grass has been eaten. Then I will lay slabs inside the run. This'll allow me to still peg a large proportion of the run down, but with the advantage that by the time winter rolls around again there won't be mud in the run but wood chippings with kick boards around the outside......I hope :roll:

This has been very interesting, thanks for posting.

Have you got your eglu and run attached to a 2x2m WIR? What have you put on the ground of the WIR, wood shavings? How dry has it kept? :think:

Yes, that's right. We've got Rapport on the ground at the moment, on top of some slabs. It's kept fairly dry so far, although we've not had any heavy, driving rain just yet. We might end up installing a roll-up tarpaulin on the side the wind comes in from.

I was looking forward to building the run - honest! But the nice man from Omlet did it for me :D

It's just a shame that yesterday's rain has left the whole area very muddy - can you get wellies for chickens?

Oo, do you have an Omlet WIR too? 8)

Yes, a nice fresh (and muddy :roll: ) Omlet WIR for the cube! I have woodchip waiting to go on the floor but I might just leave that until the winter, and put some crazy paving down inside for now.