Sue Peters

runny droppings - help!

Thank you Claret. Oh yes I know some of the nasty reasons for runny bums and I am very careful to check what is dropping from those fluffy parts. :lol: I always think that a bright red, plump, comb and wattle are a good indicator of a hen's health. Lucky for me our vet breeds Buff Orpingtons and has a great interest and insight into all things hen.

VERY RUNNY POOH!!

Our new chicken "rusty" a new hampshire red bantam is the first chicken we have ever had .

We have had her for around 5 weeks now for the fist three weeks she came in for 3 hours a night and lived outside in her ark.

For the last two weeks we have kept her inside to monitor her better , she has always had a few runny pooh's every day but it suddenly got a lot worse last saturday she decided to eat loads of sand out of our quails sand bath then whent around with projectile pooh.

We have tried stopping her treats for two days ,(she gets her own vegetables each morning )but to know avail and by monday she was slashing out just water at some times .Though she was drinking loads so as far as I am aware did not get dehydrated.

Following advice on the net we have got her on naturel yohgert mixed with chick crumbs and origano this has at least stablised her a bit but she now does 80 % very runny and 20% ok but not dry .

She seems very happy and not to be in bad shape except for the pooh .

When she goes up to roost on her box at around 9 she gets red around the corners of her beak but this might be from the exertion of flying .(she is not old enough to have red wattles yet).

She has had free access to a heat lamp all week that she sits under every now and then .

When she was outside in the run the ground has had cat pooh on it in places though not for at least a month as well as dog pooh but not for 5 months neather in vast quantities.

I bought Coxoid and Verm-x Pellets she is now on day two (of severn) of coxid treatment 1ml to 1litre and could be showing general signs of improvement.

I plan on not using the wormer untill a few days after the coxoid to make sure everything is ok

I have been trieing her on mixed corn and layers pellets but this seems to go straight through.

As she is mainly a house chicken we can't let her out of the kitchen till things firm up a bit so we need to get on top of things ,after reading all posts in this topic it seems most people don't worry too much about a bit of runny pooh but we can't take any chances as she is our only hen, though we have a laying quail who is not afected and has eaten all the same food as well as coming from the same supplier .

Your opinions would be welcome.

Gosh, lots of newbies with runny-bum chickies. :D

If thye are chciks, then a diet for chick crumbs and Bokashi Bran mixed with live yoghurt, and Avipro added to the water will work wonders.

As soon as they are older though, they will need wormign with Flubenvet as it coudl possibly be worms, but unlikely in young uns.

For older hens, the first port of call woudl always be to worm with Flubenvet, and to support that with Bokashi Bran in live yoghurt, and Avipro plus ACV in their water.

I think that it is important not to bombard with too many different things when trying to deal with this as if they are unwell their systems will struggle to cope with a whole hatfull of 'treatments' - also it will be impossible to monitor what has worked. Pro biotics can be helpful for 'runny bums' - Avipro & Protexin both spring to mind as does natural live yoghurt & Bokashi Bran. Flubenvet can be used but chicks are only really at risk of worms once they are out and 'in contact with the earth'. It is worth checking the wonderful poo gallery to check that you actually have a problem

Here

I was wondering whether they actually have diarrhoeia, or if it's just the once-in-a-while yellow caecal poo.

I've never wormed young chicks, despite raising them outdoors with a broody hen, so I'd be reluctant to recommend using any treatments on babies that young. I alwasy pop some good quality poultry tonic in their water though - the one I use contains probiotics. Just a tiny dab though.

Also do you know when I should get them vaccinated, guess the vets is the place to go!!

Marianne

The various vaccines are only available in industrial quantities too, so it isn't practical or cost effective for the hobby poultry keeper to buy them.

Quite right plus anything that is vaccinated must be 100% healthy first.

Once again you prove to have an answer(s) to everything! One of my three-week-ago rescued ex-bats has been proudly wandering over to us and presenting her runny poo for us to see each day... We had wondered if they were overdosing on free-range tidbits and as the weather is a little less settled today, and I've got indoor work to do, I figured I'd try and keep 'em in the run for a day or so... Not that they're happy about it!

The rest of the advice and ideas in this topic have been heeded and I will move on to stage two, three and four of chicken poop de-running as needed! :wink: