Sue Peters

runny droppings - help!

Hens poo is alot more normal now although could go back runny after the scare of me trying to give them a hug, even though i gave them pasta they still attacked me :cry:

Well, if I can add to the great poo debate - one of mine has now produced very sloshy poos whilst the other is doing the usual neat little dinner-roll type things. The only nuisance is having to wipe it out of the poo tray rather than them just rolling into the compost bin.

This has coincided with their first full afternoon out playing in the garden yesterday (they've been out twice before, but just for an hour before bedtime). So I guess a lot of worms and slugs have been ingested, not to mention all the seeds which have spilled out of the bird feeders which they found within 8 seconds.

Also Morag has become very muddy!

Is there anything apart from porridge or bioyoghurt mixed in with mash as they wouldn't eat either when I tried in their first week! They were out for hours yesterday, so maybe they found slugs/insects or didn't get on well with the leeks my partner gave them. They do eat grass a lot too.

I saw a thread where someone said they swear by putting something in the water or feed like a tonic, but I've lost it.

I may have noticed Susannah's droppings are runny, but Trinny didn't and stood right in one for ages, then it stayed stuck to her foot! :shock:

Thank you for all of your postings everyone. Just been to see the chooks and while they both seem fine in themselves, Hettie's poo is very runny - at least I asume it's here because she has poo down her lovely feathers. I emptied out the tray and - you're right - could not roll of the droppings into the compost bin this time (eeuchhh).

But I'm not so worried now - figure it may have something to do with the number of worms that came out of our compost heap and were fed to the girls over the last day or two.

Still haven't figured out this dust bath thing either. No litter tray or washing up bowl yet, so tried left over ericaceous compost in my trug.... But I think it's a bit big, and it's clogging up the chicken run - and the chooks don't seem very interested in it...

Ho, hum, so much to learn ....

I think the tonic you were looking for is AVIPRO.

Clare swears by it for dodgy tummys.

Look under the topic RUNNY TUMMY in this section.

Hope this helps.

Here's the link for Avipro

Check with your vet though, as they might be able to get it cheaper - mine can get it for £6.21. It can either be mixed with water or porridge and the results are pretty fast. Buffie recently had a good result from it.

Yep did Clare. Have to say that mine get runny poo often but are fine, I think it's the seasons. They aren't free ranging as much and interestingly they are solid at night and tend to be runny first poop of the day :oops: SORRY :wink:

I wouldn't worry unless they are off colour and believe me you would know. A chicken does show it's unwell quite obviously.

BBx

my chicken hs been with us for about 12 weeks and has only laid one egg - a soft shell a week ago which made her poorly. I wormed them both last week but today noticed when I let her out of the run about 10 mins ago that her poo is totally liquid - it looks like liquidised pellets with nothing else in it - she is very perky but is there anything I should be looking our for? Thanks on advance for any tips.

thanks again - have ordered some from omlet, though quite fancied the wiggly wigglers just for the name! Am not too concerned about Ruby as she is eating adn drinking and running about.... but will do the bran and hope it gets her back to ok then re worm :)

I have got 2 point of lay Light Sussex and they have been wandering around the garden for just over a week. One of them (Gerty) is doing brown runny poo and she is also laying the odd soft shelled eggs. She seems fine in herself, happily scratching around the garden and compost heap. They get a handful of mixed corn a day, layers pellets, grit and oyster shell mix and bits and pieces like the odd grape and granary bread (soaked in water). Her sister (Daisy) is doing nice grey/white solid poo and her eggs are small (as you would expect) and hard shelled. I was wondering if Gerty is getting too much grass and maybe it is the change of diet and environment that is upsetting her at the moment.

Their garden companion is Bracken a cross bred Silkie bantem and we have never had problems with her poo but she was reared in a garden environment.

I would love to know what people think. Thanks

Have you wormed them lately Lizzy? That's always first port of call if you have a chook with a runny bum.

Like us, they all react differently to various foods - my plan when I have a chook with a runny bum is to exclude anything but their pellets and water, add Bokashi Bran (Omlet Shop) to their feed and Avipro to the water, then worm them. Usually works well. If she's still doing dodgy poos and you're worried about her, then take a sample of her poo to the vet for analysis.

I took your advice Claret and they have all been pecking about in the garden again for a while. Everything seems to be fine now, the occasional brown pooh but nothing like it was. Gerty is laying hard shelled eggs now. Bless her, some of them are large and some small but she is happy and enjoying her life in our large garden. The other two are well and now we are getting sunny days they love having a dust bath. I love my hens. :wink:(white chicken)(white chicken)GNR

Glad to hear it Lizzy.

It might be a good idea to include some Bokashi Bran in their feed on a daily basis - I always do this and they seem to benefit from it. The odd treat of probiotic yoghurt never goes amiss too. When you think of what they eat imn the garden, it's no wonder that they get the odd dodgy tum.... sometimes it's just due to something they ate, but a regular worming programme will keep on top of anythign else.

There are some more worrying causes of runny bums and if it doesn't clear up with the regime i recommended above, then take a fecal sample to the vet for analysis.