BeckyBoo

toy inspiration for buns please

Hi there, Milo and Blossom have been moved yesterday into a new run. Unfortunately it's on paving slabs as, having already lost one to a fox when she dug her way out, I discovered tha Milo is ALSO an avid digger so have had to prevent him becoming fox food too. Anyway, so they're in an old converted green house (glass removed obviously, don't want them to cook in the summer! :shock: ) bit it looks a bit bare. The advantage is that we can walk in and sit in with them which we couldn't before with the aim of getting them tame enough to come out onto the grass in summer and "free-range" round the garden (apart from my veg patch!)

So, what can I put in there to help them pass the time and keep them occupied? There's space for me to build another level but I don't know if rabbits like to go up as well as dig down. I thought about hanging a cabbage or similar from a hook in the ceiling like I do with the chooks, they have branches to chew (although when I moved them I discovered they'd actually eaten most of one side of their hutch :evil: )

Also, does anyone have pictures of their rabbit set ups I could look at? I try and give them a roll of turf when I've got some spare money although obviously once they're a bit easier to handle I can get a moveable run to put on the grass....

BeckyBoo

Rabbits like climbing, so another level would be a great idea (obviously you'd have to make sure that it was safe and that they couldn't fall off :) ) as for toys, I tend to just use the toys you can get for buns in pet shops. My girls have a wooden ball, a 'carrot' made out of sisal and a ball and a tunnel both made out of willow. Sometimes we give them cardboard boxes etc, but these need to be plain and not printed with ink.

My bunnies' favourite would have to be the willow tunnel and ball :D .

My buns also have a tunnel but its a fabric one with a peep hole in the middle. Misty loves runing through it, popping her head out in the middle and running back out for food (it finishes up in their hay -patch!). The fabric ones you cannot bend though and it fills up the majority of their 6ft run so make sure you have space to fit a tunnel!! (Sounds like you have plenty!)

Mine also have a treat ball which I use to feed them their pellets at night - so instead of it taking them 5 minutes to gobble down their dinner it takes them a good 20 minutes of fun rolling the ball around to get it :D They love it!

I also fill up empty toilet rolls with hay/grass and put a little treat in the middle. At the moment they have a old kids willow chair that I found in the shed, and they will sit on it and nibble it (makes quite a mess mind :roll: )

Think what I have learnt over my years of guinea pig and rabbit owning that they usually prefer home-made toys and treats rather than the pricey ones you can get in the pet-shops.

Hope this helps :)