Purplemaniacs Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 Hi I was just wondering when I can give my ex batts some treats. They are eating the ex batt food but as I give my other girls a treat late afternoon, I was not sure if the ex batts could have some or if I should wait for a while first. Would they know that a treat was something to eat, I wonder, perhaps not. Thanks Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 You can give them whatever you give your other girls but they probably won't eat it, corn is a good treat to start - it takes a while for them to realise about other foods. The girls I got in January ignore everything except spaghetti and cabbage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sage Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 Hi It took my ex batts a few weeks to eat treats just because they didn't realise what they were. I would just give them a little at first as they need to eat a much prooer food as poss just to get there strenghth back and calcium levels normal Sage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snoxy Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 Just wondering have you posted pics of your ex batts My girls weren't interested in meal worms, which I bought specifically for them, to start with but eat everything I offer them now bless them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 They will eat most things like other chooks in the long run however for the first few weeks they are likely to ignore most treats. Any treats that you do offer them should be "good" for them like meal worms etc to help them build up their strength, regrow feathers etc. However be ready for them to ignore all treats too. Personally, I only offer my newly rehomed exbatts mash for the first three-four weeks (mean chicken mummy) as this is what they are used to, is full of the things that they need and TBH i just don`t want to have to clean up after the squitty poos that cabbage and a varied diet create when fed to a delicate stomach. Once they have settled then they get fed the same as everybody else Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted March 29, 2011 Author Share Posted March 29, 2011 Just wondering have you posted pics of your ex batts My girls weren't interested in meal worms, which I bought specifically for them, to start with but eat everything I offer them now bless them I have put some pictures here http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75998 I hope it works Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snoxy Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 Found it thank you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 We have found with the different groups of ex batts, that they didn't really 'get' treats until they moved in with the established chooks.......then they learnt much quicker! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted March 29, 2011 Author Share Posted March 29, 2011 Thank you for the information about treats, I think I will leave them to eat the ex batts food for a while and then try them with a little of what I give the others. I just feel mean not giving them any of the goodies At least they don't know that they are missing out Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Miss Millies Chicken Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 I've had my ex bats 6 weeks now. They are still turning there beaks up at all treats except dried mealworms . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted March 30, 2011 Share Posted March 30, 2011 Mealworms and wheat were the first treats my girls recognised. It took them quite a while to get the hang of what to do with veg. In the beginning I had to shred all their veg into worm shapes so that they would eat it. 18 months on.... they can strip a whole cabbage bare in minutes! Just go slowly with the treats. As Em has said, they are best on mash for the first few weeks anyway, then you can start introducing them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 30, 2011 Share Posted March 30, 2011 They will eat most things like other chooks in the long run however for the first few weeks they are likely to ignore most treats. Any treats that you do offer them should be "good" for them like meal worms etc to help them build up their strength, regrow feathers etc. However be ready for them to ignore all treats too. Personally, I only offer my newly rehomed exbatts mash for the first three-four weeks (mean chicken mummy) as this is what they are used to, is full of the things that they need and TBH i just don`t want to have to clean up after the squitty poos that cabbage and a varied diet create when fed to a delicate stomach. Once they have settled then they get fed the same as everybody else I totally agree If you want to give them treats after a few weeks, then mealworms or dried gammarus shrimps are good as they contain plenty of protein but no garbage. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...