beach chick

Ruby and Arthur ... PHOTOS

joined us yesterday! Ruby is blue and Arthur apricot, both mini-lops, 8 weeks old and dead cute. They are currently living in the rather palatial hutch in the WIR (ex quail quarters, then a cupboard and back to a cupboard soon) while they settle in and we sort out the new bunny palace.

new bunny palace has arrived, and is in pieces all over the garage/garden being stained a rather fetching shade of Cuprinol Lavender (outside only, but apparently rabbit-safe) - chosen by youngest, who is 12 tomorrow, so she and I and her friend have been painting it this morning. 2nd coat and finish off the bottoms etc tomorrow, and then mr beach chick can get the screwdriver out at the w/e!

it's going in the garden, will sit on grass - with weldmesh on the bottom, and I'm going to put a couple of concrete slabs in there to help keep claws down and provide a mud-free zone if need be. they will also have an 'outdoor' run, but yet to decide whether this will be fixed to the palace, or to keep if free-standing and therefore moveable...

now, can someone remind me please what age to get male bunnies done?!

pictures will follow! :D

Edited by Guest

We were advised by vet that they can produce litter from 3-4 months so I wouldn't wait too long. Ours were 12 weeks when we got them and we had them done as soon as possible and had to keep them seperated until then as they would be at it as soon as they got near each other. We had them both done in the end as we were advised this was best for both.

mmm, trip to the vet next week then I reckon for a checkover and booking the deed!

what is everyone's thoughts on vaccination? I've had our previous ones done, mostly because they lived with the chickens and had quite a wide territory as a result.

Ruby and Arthur will have their new palace, and a run on grass - is vaccination really essential? we dont have any wild rabbits here; must be some locally but never in the garden.

Ours had vaccinations initially but we wont be having them done again as it was very expensive (every 6 months!) and seemed like a bit of a waste of time as they don't come into contact with any other animals - also stressful for the rabbits as they hated going to the vets.

mmm, trip to the vet next week then I reckon for a checkover and booking the deed!

what is everyone's thoughts on vaccination? I've had our previous ones done, mostly because they lived with the chickens and had quite a wide territory as a result.

Ruby and Arthur will have their new palace, and a run on grass - is vaccination really essential? we dont have any wild rabbits here; must be some locally but never in the garden.

Funnily enough I had this conversation the other day with my vet.

In the past, we have had the Myximytosis (yeah... I doubt I spelt that right) jab done twice a year, and the Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (yep... I doubt I spelt that correctly, either :lol: ) jab done once a year. However after speaking to my vet, I think that I may stop having the VHD, and cut down to 1 myxi jab a year.

Myxi is transmitted through biting insects and parasites, so ANY and EVERY rabbit is at risk. It is a risk to indoor AND outdoor rabbits, it makes no difference. A rabbit who lives on the tenth floor is at the same risk as a bunny who lives outside at all times. Different areas of the UK are also affected differently. As a general rule, the further down South you go, the higher the risk, although the risk is less in urban and bulit up areas.

The myxi jab lasts for 6 months, and you can either have it done once a year or twice a year. If you have it done once a year, it's best to have it done about now, in the spring, because by the time the effect of the vaccine wears off, the time when most of the biting insects will be out has come and gone. For myxi THERE IS NO CURE, and your bunny will almost certainly dies from it if they get it. :(

VHD is transmitted from rabbit to rabbit, so it's not a risk to indoor rabbits, or rabbits who live in urban areas. Although I would normally say that it's better safe than sorry, my vet has told me that getting my bunnies vaccinated against VHD isn't really necessary because my bunnies live indoors most of the time, and I don't see many wild rabbits in London! :lol:

Having said that, there are benefits to getting your bunnies vaccinated more often, eg, more check-ups for your buns. However given that it is stressful for bunnies to go to the vet, it also has it's downsides (not to mention the fact that the vaccines are so expensive!!!) :!:

I'm still currently deciding wether to opt for 1 or 2 myxi jabs per year. Nothing terrifies me more than the thought of losing my babies :(:(:(:(:(:(:( .

I totally disagree with your vet.

There are lots of ways your rabbits could pick up the virus:

Food (e.g. hay) or water contaminated by infected wild rabbits.

Birds or insects may bring the virus to your rabbits on their feet or in their droppings, which your rabbits may eat if they graze on the lawn.

The virus may be blown on the wind.

You (or your dog or cat) might accidentally bring the virus home on your feet from infected wild rabbit droppings, and vermin around rabbit hutches might bring it along too.

You might pick it up from other peoples’ rabbits, for example at a show or even if another rabbit owner handles your rabbits.

The virus itself if extremely tough and can survive for many months in the environment, and can even resist temperatures of 60 degrees centigrade!

Why risk your rabbits health!! :anxious:

I totally disagree with your vet.

I was acctually very surprised that my vet said this to me. (Especially as telling me not to get the vaccine means that they lose out on the profit!)

As you can see, I live in London so I shouldn't think that there would be that much of an issue, however I know for a fact that there are rabbits living in the grounds of my school (I've never seen them, but I've seen their footprints in the snow), and especially now that it is summer I will be more likely to be on the fields instead of inside, and therefore more likely to pick up things from there.

Anyway, thanks a lot for that information. I still haven't really decided yet what I am going to do. Unfortunately I may have a hard time convincing other people that it is a good idea to have the vaccine, as it is acctually not me who pays for it (that's what mums are for... JOKE :anxious: ).

no probs luckychickenlover! its all information isnt it? :D

Ruby and Arthur installed in new bunny palace of this morning and seem to be loving it, have just been out taking some pix and will load them later. as am total technoidiot I will have to put them into a picasa album...