MadAboutChooks

Have I got a phantom layer?

Hi got some ex batts about 6 weeks ago and have just intregrated them into the WIR, 1 of the chooks, incidently the one with the redest face and comb and best feathers has not yet laid me an egg, just wondered if anyone else has a chooks that just dosnt lay? I have done all the usual things worming, poultry tonic and they all look a lot healthier than when I got them. Now it gets wierder, quite often she goes into the nest box, sits there for about 40 minuites, does the egg song, but no egg! I am positive that she is not laying. Any ideas? Im not really worried about the egg point of view, I love her to bits and the eggs are just a bonus, but just wondered if this was normal?

Hi not sure how helpful i can be but my 3 exbats arrived about 2 months ago and 1 of them has never stopped laying bless her, while the other has only just started and the 3rd one still hasnt laid. I should think ,though i am not an expert ,they may just be settling in. Funnily enough one of my older chooks did the clucking thing today before she laid an egg! I guess they just need time, especially as you have just introduced them to your original girls they have had alot to deal with bless their little hearts. Hope you get some eggs soon! :) Ps i love mine too!

I have an ex batt who from time to time will stop laying (not moulting, just a little break) but will still toddle up to the nest box each day for a little sit down! She seems happy enough, and after a few weeks rest will suddenly start laying eggs again :D She's done this a few times in the 18 months since I got her. None of the others do this though, it just seems to be a little quirk of hers :lol:

I got my ex batts three weeks ago today, Annie lays first thing in the morning, in the nest. Agnes lays next to the nest where the bars normally are a little later in the morning than Annie but Agatha goes and sits in the nest but does not lay, I did have one three egg day but I think perhaps one of the two who are laying laid two eggs in the day.

If Agatha does not lay it does not worry me as long as she is happy and she seems to be.

She has a funny eye, the pupil is teardrop shaped not round, she and Agnes have the least feathers, Annie is quite well feathered.

Chrissie