sydbass

Help - New at this!

Please help. My chickens are not due for another month and I've been reading other peoples posts but am now getting confused. I have bought the eglu classic - firstly do I site this on bark - if not why not. Some people say hardwood chips are better. Secondly do I need to but something extra to put over the run to keep the area dry? People recommend aubiose - whats this for and does it smell bad when wet? and what is Bokashi for? Sorry to ask so many questions but not sure what to buy or why!

Hi there, It is not recommended to put your chooks on bark as the spores that it gives off when damp can be harmfull, hardwood chips are good, I kept mine on these and just changed it every couple of months. Aubiouse is an alternative, or you can add this in with the woodchips, but if you do you need to keep the run covered as it does not fair well if it gets wet. I do recommend Aubiose it is fantastic and the poo's just seem to dissapear. Hope this helps :D

Welcome to the forum :) . It can be really confusing when you start out - you end up reading so many posts saying so many different things you don't know if you're coming or going :lol: .

I use Easibed (Hemcore & Aubiose are similar beddings) on bare soil and it works brilliantly. You do have to keep it dry though as it's very absorbant - I used corrugated plastic sheets (from B&Q or similar) on top of my eglu run.

Bokashi bran can be added to their feed to aid digestion. It has the added benefit of firming up their poops 8) .

Here is my oft-posted photo of corrugated plastic sheets ....

2216528126_f56b74c3d1.jpg

Welcome to the forum :) . It can be really confusing when you start out - you end up reading so many posts saying so many different things you don't know if you're coming or going :lol: .

I use Easibed (Hemcore & Aubiose are similar beddings) on bare soil and it works brilliantly. You do have to keep it dry though as it's very absorbant - I used corrugated plastic sheets (from B&Q or similar) on top of my eglu run.

Bokashi bran can be added to their feed to aid digestion. It has the added benefit of firming up their poops 8) .

Here is my oft-posted photo of corrugated plastic sheets ....

2216528126_f56b74c3d1.jpg

I know it is cooler up north but does having the corrugated sheets give a green house effect? Or do you remove it in the spring in which case the run would get wet. Now I am confused. :think: Of course if they free range all day you could leave it covered :!:

If it was sunny (doesn't happen often :roll: ), I used to take the plastic off. I'd often have to rush out and refit it when the heavens opened though :wall: .

At one point I think I put both sheets on top of each other so not so much of the run was covered and put the sun shade if it was sunny. That way if it rained, the run didn't get too wet.

Thanks for the responses - I've now got the woodchippings and will maybe think about the plastic covering. Am getting really impatient as i've got another 3 weeks to wait! In the meantime i'll keep checking out the forum for all the good tips. I'd never thought about rats for example until I read the posts - didnt realise you had to remove the food at night. What do you do if you go away for a couple of days?

Hi,

I live in the south, and still use the same corrugated plastic, and don't have any "greenhouse" issues - although do use the sun shades.

We had a problem with rats at the start, but acted quickly and got rid of them, and 2 years later, we are still rodent free, and don't bother take in the food at night. If you live near water or waste ground etc it might be more tricky... So when we go away for a couple of days, food and water are topped up and they are left to it. Longer than that, we have someone come in at least once just to top up food/water and collect eggs. I would say don't panic, see what happens, and act quickly if you need to!

Enjoy them when they arrive!

it's actually easier than you think - it's very easy to 'overthink' chooks in my experience!

as long as they have healthy food; constant access to clean water; somewhere dry to go in the rain (even if they dont choose to); and a safe house they will be just fine. if you DO have any problems/worries, someone on here will have been through the same thing and will be able to advise you. :D

I agree - I've only had mine for just over a month but I'm loving it. I tend to overanalyse things but there is always some one here to help. Not everyone has the same solutions for problems but you get a great balanced view with which to make up your mind.

Best advice, deep breath, relax & enjoy :D

Well my girls have arrived and BEAUTIFUL they are too (Chickira and Rhianna) GNRPP . Thanks to everyones help, I got an area set up ready for the eglu (purple eglu) and it looks great. The thing is the POO!! I thought they were supposd to poo most at night, but when i looked in the tray this morning it was virtually empty, yet they are virtually paddling around in the stuff in the run. This leads me to my question - to prevent smell and flies I want to 'poop scoop' regularly but how do you reach into the classic run? Ive bedded it into the ground so cant move it and dont want to have to put fresh wood chips down after 1 day! Any tips on reaching in to get at the poo?

Any ideas? Also the poop is runny - will this be due to stress of the journey?? :think:

Ah the joys of chicken poo! Yes their poos are probably runny becuase of the stress of moving. Give them a few days and they will more than likely firm up. This time of year, the chooks are awake for more hours than they are asleep, so they will poo more outside than inside. Over the winter months you will find tonnes of poo in the coop.

If you have a long handled rake, you can just reach into the run and give the bedding a good rake over. No need to change it straight away, leave it until it's a bit mankier :lol:

Word of caution, I got what I thought was a good deal from Bokashi Direct, buying 6k for £23 inc p&p, but when I opened it its not like the dry, sweet smelling stuff by Wiggly's, this is a bit damp, smells rancid and sour. Still waiting to hear BDs response but I don't feel inclined to use it.

Bokashi in their feed and in their run all helps to degrade the poo and have pleasanter smells. Sometimes if I'm out in the garden for a while and they are letting off some fresh ones and I think I can't bear it, I immediately scatter some aubiose/sand/bokashi mixture over it with instant results.

Brilliant bokashi!!!