Rhapsody

Barbeque Ideas...

I thought at this time of year it would be nice to star ta thread of novel BBQ ideas- I love cooking outdoors and burgers and sausages never get featured at my house!

Halloumi- a fab cheese that doesnt melt- you can get it from most supermarkets now, slice it a finger-width thick or it will disappear between the grill bars it goes crispy like bacon 8)

Chicken Tikka- marinade chunks of chook in yoghurt and curry powder the night before, thread onto skewers.

Aubergine slices- brush with oil and thyme and grill until they start to blacken

Any more...?

We always Barbeque Sweetcorn.It doesn't need oil or butter - its just delicious as it is.

We love Halloumi too.I make lamb & Halloumi skewers with nice little bits of lamb & chunks of the cheese.

We have found that most of the BBQ tings you get in supermarkets are really nasty - tough fatty meat & either overpowering flavours or none at all.

Far nicer to make your own & eat what you know is fresh & will be delicious :P

This is great. I am a barbecue novice really, but DD1 wants a berbecue party on Saturday to celebrate her 18th birthday. So cheap, quick and easy tasty ideas are very welcome.

DevonRose was supposed to send burgers and sausages with my meatbox, but didn't. Then they were supposed to come last week, but didn't. The lovely Richard has promised them for Tuesday next week or I can slap him. :shock: I may have to invite him to the party, so that i have something to cook!

I have appointed brother 1 as barbecue king and brother 2 as bar manager. :lol: DD1's girlfirends are all coming at about 4pm, but the boys are arriving at 1pm. I'm very worried they're going to eat everything and then get bored! - or worse, drunk!

The things I do for my children . . .!

Ainsley did a fab BBQ book a while ago & we use it all the time.

His burgers have a dollop of double crem in them (& are wonderful!)

I also make these a lot,which work well on the Barbie.They are very Mediterranean.

MONZARELLIS BURGERS

Mix together with your hand - 500g Sausagemeat,

8 sundried toms in oil,snipped up small,

2 crushed cloves garlic,

2 TBSP grated Parmesan,

2 TBSP toasted pine nuts,

2 TBSP shredded basil,

2 TBSP chopped parsley.

Dampen your hands & shape into 4 burgers.

Cook over meduim coals for 6 mins on each side,until cooked through.

Serve on a chunk of Ciabatta,or a Ciabatta roll with a nice hearty red wine

:P

Chocolate bananas are a really easy pudding 8) .

Make a slit in banana and put squares of chocolate in the slit. I like plain chocolate but slices of mars bar also work well. Wrap in foil, place over embers. Eat and enjoy :lol: . You can also bake them in the oven.

If you have large bananas you can cut them in half before filling.

Morag

Haloumi - it's a bit like Marmite Chelsea - you either love it or hate it :wink:

(It's quite salty and texture more rubbery than a cheddar.)

I misread this as Marmite cheese and got all excited! I love Marmite and cheese sandwiches so the thought of Marmite cheese really got my mouth watering! Then I re-read it :roll:

I love barbeques although I think the weather is going to be too bad around here this weekend :( although I could shelter under the carport :idea::D

I misread this as Marmite cheese and got all excited! I love Marmite and cheese sandwiches so the thought of Marmite cheese really got my mouth watering! Then I re-read it :roll:

One of the stall holders at my local farmers market does Marmite Cheddar - its yummy :D

One of the stall holders at my local farmers market does Marmite Cheddar - its yummy :D

:shock::shock::shock: That's my idea of cheese heaven........MUST find someone near here that sells it :shock::lol::lol:

Fantastic posts! Glad we are mostly Halloumi fans here 8)

Some more.....

Polenta Sandwiches cut ready-made polenta (you can buy it in a block usually in the pasta section of supermarkets) or home-cooked into 2-inch squares about half an inch thick, spread with your favourite pesto and make a sandwich. Brush with oil and grill on each side.

Butterflied Chicken Thighs- remove bone from thighs with sharp knife (cut along bone each side and be careful to remove all joint) and spread flat. Marinade in whatever flavour takes your fancy, I like lemon juice + lemon zest, chilli, and olive oil.