Donna C

Broody orpington

Hi all, my buff Orpington seemed to be in nest for hours.went to check on her and she was happily sat on two eggs(she lives with another orp).removed the eggs and her from nest,shut peep hole.as soon as I re-opened door she was back in onto nest.I removed her again and closed hole again. My question is how long will she go on like this and am I dealing with it correctly?

Many thanks

Donna

My Orp has had two spells of broodiness in the last couple of months. I find if I break the broodiness early enough, she gets back to normal after about 3-4 days. If you dont break it she could be like it for weeks. I put her in the dog cage - raised upon bricks so that she cools off underneath - with food and water..... I feel really mean doing it but it works. In the afternoon, once all the others have laid - I might lock the hen house and let her out for a wander. The key is not to let her just sit there comfortably - keep distracting her. Good luck!

Orpington's are well known for being broody, but do make great Mum's. If hatching isn't in your plans at the moment, you do need to break her of the feelings quickly, or you wont have any eggs for ages. As others have said, don't let her get comfortable and try to keep her out of the nest. A broody cage, as described by Dixie Chick, works best.

My Buff Orp went broody on Friday (feelings brought on by the arrival of new chicks hatched by one of my two Pekin's I suspect). She's been kept away from the Eglu's all weekend and was showing signs of giving up by late afternoon today. Other signs of broodyness are constant grunting sounds, raised feathers (with bottom in the air when you come near), looking all puffy and general stomping around when she can't get to the nest box!

Andrew

Put them both in a cage asap! At least they wont be lonely! You just need to get some cool fresh air on to their breast area - hence the propping up of the cage on bricks. When you pick them up you will be able to feel how hot they feel underneath. They cant help it ....

If you don't have a suitable cage, Donna - I would just prevent them from getting in the coop and lock them in the run - but they will probably find a cosy corner and start sitting there for hours - and even on bare ground they will retain their hot undercarriage! If you keep Orps then I feel that the purchase of some sort of cage that you can raise above the ground is well worth the outlay. You will use it pretty often! :roll:

They sit down in the cage but cannot make contact with the ground -( you must raise the cage off the ground with bricks) - so they have air circulating under their hot undersides - which should cool them down a bit and this snaps them out of their broodiness. Also - they cant get comfortable and snuggle down .... I suspended a pole across the cage and she just roosted on it whilst in the cage. Then I would let her out for a while but if she started to snuggle down anywhere, I put her back in the cage. It WAS a pain for a couple of days but broke the broodiness quickly! Good luck :pray:

Its best to keep them separate - the idea of the broody cage is to reduce their body temperature; raise the cage off the floor with some bricks so air circulates; don't put two girls together as they will snuggle up to keep their body temp up which is not what you want. They will not be happy about being put into the cage and may be very vocal but be strong it for their own good.

The other option is to dunk them in cold water - which in my opinion is worse than a couple of days in the broody cage.

Let us know how you get on

I have heard of hens dying of shock after being dunked in cold water so I wouldn't recommend it! If only you could get them to sit on a cool pack......... :whistle:

i have been trying this before reading your comment... i had given up as it just made her wet and my hands cold and still left her broody..