Omletina Kyckling

Should I get a kitten? *Update*

I'm really really wanting a kitten, have been for years to be honest, but it's really in my head all of the time now.....

I have two big boys, who are half bengal, brothers, now 7 years old. I'm thinking I'd like either a maine coon or norwegian forest cat. I can't afford a full priced one so would be looking at a cross breed. I've found a few on the net, including some maine coon crosses not far away which seem to have the big ear tufts.

I would get a girl this time, and a kitten, like I said, so that she wouldnt' be so much competition for the boys. My neighbours have offered to loan me a large puppy cage, which their bulldog used to go in, so she could be in the lounge in the cage, with litter tray, bed, food etc. so the boys can see her and smell her but not go for her. I'd then get her out at controlled times with the boys so they get used to each other and I could leave her in there if I'm out so she'd be ok. I could also shut her in a different part of the house so the boys couldn't get at her.

What do people think?

She'd be called Freya by the way.....

....erm any replies might be a bit late because I just might be going to look at a maine coon cross and I just might ahem :anxious: be taking a cat carrier with me........

I think you've answered your own question Daine :lol: Don't worry about your big boys - kittens soon learn to keep out of the way of big hissing monsters :D

:lol: as soon as I read your first post, I knew you didn't really want our advice - you'd already decided! Go for it, the separation arrangements you describe sound just right, and they will soon get used to each other. Pictures, please!

OK, I confess.....I went to look at A maine coon cross kitten, but there were two sisters and I couldn't bear splitting them up so I came home with TWO maine coon cross kittens......they are both gorgeous. I went to Pets at home and bought a big dog cage so they are in that in the front room and have their litter tray, feed bowls, cat scratcher and pink bed in there. They've both been out for a cuddle (without the boys present) and seemed really calm and happy to be handled, as you'll see from the photos. The boys have both been and inspected them, and the smaller kitten had a good hiss and growl at them, will keep them apart for some time yet!

I'm definitely calling one Freya and am toying with lots of different names for the other....here are some photos (my mum came over, t's the first time she's driven since we lost dad early last week and she came without telling me, she had some lovely kitty holding time, and they both kissed her on the nose, which she loved!)

Kitty 1

201105141192.jpg

201105141188.jpg

201105141182.jpg

201105141180-1.jpg

and kitty 2201105141219.jpg

201105141235.jpg

201105141229.jpg

201105141216.jpg

Oh my goodness! Look at those tufty ears! And those humungous feet! :shock: They are gorgeous girls, I'm not surprised you couldn't split them up!

Am a little worried about your boys though. They will have a run for their money when those girls are fully grown :lol:

How do you manage to find such gorgeous cats? 8)

:shock: TWO kittens!

They are absolutely gorgeous, I would love a Maine Coon (or two!) and I hope that having them helps you and your mum, it will be a distraction for her when she's feeling low. I am soooo envious! I made a decision a few years ago that I wouldn't have a kitten again but they are just lovely. Glad to hear they are settling in.

How do you manage to find such gorgeous cats? 8)

I found them online, like most things.....searched for maine coons and norwegian forest cats herehttp://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/home.nsf/kittensforsale/

Here they arehttp://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/home.nsf/LookupUNID/BC87634E20BCB8FB80257885006D2DD3

I got a deal on 2!!

They are settling in so well, both using their litter tray. They sleep together in the little pink cube thing my neighbour gave me for them (her cat wouldn't have anything to do with it, but then again he is a boy!) and have had a hearty breakfast.....not let them out for free play yet as I'm in and out all the time back and forth to mum's trying to sort out dad's funeral......I can hear him in the back of my mind "what has she done now? Two kittens? tut"