Delia

Help - Still broody after 7 weeks

Dotty goes broody 2-3 times per year and was placed in a broody cage at the beginning of April as soon as she started sitting. I've just given up on this as there is no sign of her snapping out of it and we needed to mow the lawn! So she's now back with the others and I troop out frequently to remove her from the nest as she keeps the others who are laying, out. In the past I've also tried dunking her in cold water but nothing has worked. However this is the longest time she's been broody for and has become very thin and weak. She ignores food, even treats and earlier I noticed her having difficulty standing up. Does anyone else have experience of broodiness well after the 21 day 'incubation' period, and how on earth can I build up her strength? She's my OH's favourite so I daren't lose her. :wall:

You can try feeding her cat food.

I would suggest that you put her in the broody cage but have it somewhere noisy and busy like your living room. That may finally make her realise that it is not a good time to have some chicks.

Sorry she has made herself so ill, I hope she recovers.

Thanks chicken bark. Why cat food, does it need to be fishy?? I have tinned fish I could try and lamb hotpot with veg dog food, but I don't think you are supposed to feed meat to hens?? Such a worry! :( OH would go mad at the idea of the cage in the lounge, favourite hen or not!

My little Wyandotte, Ivy is going on to her 13th week of broodiness. For the past 5 weeks I have been booting her out of the coop and locking the door behind so she can't get in. Every time I go near the coop, she get's excited thinking I'm going to open it for her. No way. She seems to be doing fine, scratching, eating and drinking otherwise. At the beginning, when I gave my other girlies treats, I put a few in the coop for Ivy so she wouldn't miss out. I know you're not supposed to do this, but I was more concerned of her own wellbeing and did notice her eating the treats and therefore she didn't become malnutritioned, same goes for the water (in a little bowl). Eventually I got fed up of doing this and reverted to the above, coop locking. She doesn't seem to be not the worse. I have two other girlies and have been making a note of when they lay, so I have a good idea when to keep the coop open for when they want to lay their little pressies, the the coop is locked shut till evening. Hope that helps

I would try her with cat food too, or tinned tuna well rinsed of all the oil/brine/ whatever it's in. The protein will help to build her up, and mine have never been able to resist it! I have also found that they love weetabix, softened til mushy in water. You could also put a tonic in her water. Have you tried giving her boiled egg?

I think I would put her back in the broody cage too - do you have it on bricks so that there is plenty of air flow beneath her to cool her down?

Can't think of anything else at the moment - good luck with her!

Thanks guys. I too have shut the door after the others have laid but to no avail and yes, the cage was on bricks - ditto! I'll try her on the tinned tuna today, fingers crossed, but so far she's ignoring the treats she would normally fight for. I have to stay well out of the way because every time she sees me she expects to be hoiked out into the cage! She is, unfortunately, our most intelligent hen! 13 weeks - hmm... :think: