GeorgieB

Lonely ex-batt seeks gal pal/s

Hi, we have just had to have a hen put to sleep today which has left us with just one rather lonely looking hen :(

Does anyone know of anyone in the Worcs or surrounding area that needs to find a free range home for 1 or 2 ex-batts?

Thanks,

Georgie

I hope you get a quick response, I know our local co-ordinators have quite a few ex batts at theirs, I'm not sure if they were poorlies when they got out and could not be rehomed, I know that they have too many to be pets. I'm just wondering if it is the same with yours and even if they don't have a collection, if they had a couple which you could have. Good luck with finding some friends for your girl.

Thanks Majuka. Where abouts are your local coordinators?

I had forgotton about the poorlies. One of ours was a poorly from a foster home. I'll ask her if she has any at the moment that need a home. Thanks for the reminder Redwing.

Ours are Ian and Mollie at Coventry (they are absolutely great!) we often go by and they have a number of different runs in the paddock with hens scratching about, I'm sure somewhere someone will be able to arrange some new friends for you. :D

Not heard back from anyone yet :( I know I shouldn't be impatient and it is a bank holiday but Pokey keeps coming up to the window and staring at me, and cos it's been raining she looks even more pathetic and lonely than before. Trying to get on with some work is proving very hard as I now keep going out to dig the garden for worms cos I feel so sorry for her. I have just contacted a woman in Kent who needs to find a home for her 2 ex-batts but doubt that will come to anything as she wants to check the home first and I don't think she'll want to drive all this way.

Fancy that, they cover a bigger area than I thought then! They have always replied very quickly when I have sent enquiries, I know that last time we were there Ian was telling us that because they have the new BHWT van, he is doing a lot more transporting of hens all over the place so was quite busy. Fingers crossed they will find some friends for Pokey, I have a bit of a mean hen here, I'd say you could have her but I'm not sure that Pokey would want her :lol:

I saw the woman in Hampshire (not Kent) post a message on the BHWT facebook page. Hopefully I'll hear back from someone on there in response to mine.

Is your mean hen picking on all the others then Majuka? How long have you had them?

Let us know how you get on!

Isabella is my 'mean' hen although it's a little unfair of me to call her that, she's had to fight to survive for a long time. Her and Jemima came to us on 5 December 2010 (with Cinderella and Alisha who were pts as they had peritonitis :( ) they joined our 2009 girls Emma, Gerorgina and Roberta (Georgina has also since been pts, again due to peritonitis :( ). Our 2010 girls have been the most feisty of all and while Jemima has chilled out now, Isabella is still a bit 'spiteful' in her behaviour towards Emma (who was top chick) and, to a lesser extent Roberta. Jemima is top, Isabella 2nd, Emma 3rd and Roberta 4th and Isabella wants to be top! She isn't bullying the others particularly and they have formed a nice flock now. She will just display irritating behaviours like when Emma is dustbathing way away from Isabella, Isabella will go over and want to scratch around exactly where Emma is dustbathing :roll: . Emma will move and then Isabella will follow her.....She will get there I'm sure, one of our first girls, Clarissa, was just the same, it took her a while to chill out and relax but she turned out all right!

They are like a bunch of 2 yr olds in a way aren't they, wanting what the other has all the time. I was gonna say that if you've had her a while and she's still bullying them then we could give it a go with her here. Pokey is used to being near the bottom of the flock anyway so she'd probably be ok with her. It's a shame they can't find a cure for Peritonitis. It's killed a few of our girls too and a horrible way to go.

Thanks Sandy. I've heard of little hen rescue but Norfolk would take us over 3 hours to get to. I've just had an email from the Coventry coordinators (closest ones to us) telling me they have a rescue on the 11th June, so if I can't get any before then i'll get a couple from them.

Are you able to be "her friend" whilst you are waiting??

You are not expecting love at first sight though I hope?? :lol:

But I also hope it is for you... it is sometimes I hear..

So are you north or south of little hen? have you looked on their website to see if they have pick up points better suited to you?

good luck, sorry you lost your girl x

I am spending as much time as I can with her but I'm sure she'd prefer other hens. I know they won't get on to start with but ours have always made friends quite quickly. Having space really does help.

We're west of little hen rescue. Worcs is just below Birmingham (west mids). I will have a look on their site though in case there are pick up points closer though. Thanks for the suggestion!

:D good luck, I am sure you are right,,,,, I just took on a lonely girl like yours her people not in a position to get another.. she sleeps indoors on her own (though got others in dif bedrooms (so to speak) but soon as she is up , she wants to go out with the others, I think when it gets warmer again at night she will go in the empty eglu outside with them,.

I've got even better news :D

I was looking at this last night - http://exbatteryhens.com/topic/4307150/1/ Sophie McCoy who does a lot for the BHWT is asking if anyone in the Wigan/Bolton/Manchester area can offer a home to some. She ended up with 14 in her conservatory as they were going to send any they didn't have room for to slaughter yesterday. I just hope they managed to save them all. I contacted her and she said she'd love to let me have a couple and I'm collecting them from Solihull (as she's down this way anyway at the weekend). I'm soooo looking forward to bringing them home :D

So Pokey won't have as long as I thought to wait now. Hooray! :dance: