Hi

Does anyone know if I need to be in any way changing my hens diet as they get older? My first three hens are 4 years old now and are not really laying eggs anymore, just the odd thin shelled one and they are definitely slowing down in the garden.

Quite a sad time for me having had them for so long and I just want to ensure their last few months are as comfortable as possible.

Thanks, FR :)

Hi FT, lovely to see you again :D

If the older ones are kept separate then they'd benefit from growers pellets which have less calcium and more protein for body condition

If they are with the rest of the flock then I'd stick with layers pellets, they certainly wont do them any harm and its less faff to deal with just one feed

. Corn on the cob is always a good choice (cooked obv.)

Sorry, why cooked? I feed mine corn on the cob raw, by hanging it up in their cage and they play swingball with it It's never occurred to me to cook it...should I not be doing this? fortunately no ill effects so far..

I'm worried now. My original Omlet Gingernut must be nearly 4 and along with 3 maran hybrids who are about 18 months younger is laying well.

Goes to bed much earlier than the others and is still top hen, little sign of age and has only had one partial moult. I feed layers pellets and veggy bits and pieces. They are in a run. I also use poultry spice but no other additives.Hopefully she will be with me a lot longer.

. Corn on the cob is always a good choice (cooked obv.)

Sorry, why cooked? I feed mine corn on the cob raw, by hanging it up in their cage and they play swingball with it It's never occurred to me to cook it...should I not be doing this? fortunately no ill effects so far..

Cooked mainly because its left overs :)

Thanks all for the advice, glad it is a case of keeping them on the layers, that is what they enjoy the most.

As for corn, they love it, the fresh stuff and the harder dried type of corn. Just need to keep the bantams off too much of it as they continue to lay lovely blue eggs!!

Dreading them keeling over having had them for so long, they love mooching around the garden with me and my colleagues are amused when I tell them how much I enjoy going home at the end of the day to hug a hen . . . . I am the strange one in the office!!

Thanks again all!

FR :D

As for corn, they love it, the fresh stuff and the harder dried type of corn. Just need to keep the bantams off too much of it as they continue to lay lovely blue eggs!!

Does feeding corn change the colour of eggs or shouldn't it be fed to bantams? :oops:

Not in my case, the bantie eggs have always been blue but I know excess feeding of treats like corn can impact egg production.

I think the corn fed chickens you can buy in supermarkets are force fed corn for months, hence the yellowy flesh, would never buy one knowing what the poor old hen has been through!

FR :D