Henchanted Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 The insult is the context of when, why and how certain words are said. You recognize that 'milky-way' was meant as an insult in the same way as 'you gay' is meant as an insult to someone whether they are gay or not - when it is said in that way it is meant to be an insult. And Milky-way is only brown on the outside and what -white in the middle! - an additional slur meaning you are a black person behaving white or you aren't even a proper black person etc. Yes, these are playground insults and they stay with you for life and even after you have learnt how to deal with them, in adult life the meaning and the buttons are still there for some. So lets not trivialize this, this was meant to get exactly the reaction it has got. I am trying to bring up my children to be decent citizens and not saying anything when I think its wrong, would not be a good example. I do not tolerate the use of racial sensitivity/offense as an advertising tool. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I actually don't find this advert racist. It is 'Naomi Cambellist' . I think that people searching for the racist angle on things sets the fight against racism back some way. Well said People are reading way to much into this,in my opinion. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I actually don't find this advert racist. It is 'Naomi Cambellist' . I think that people searching for the racist angle on things sets the fight against racism back some way. Well said People are reading way to much into this,in my opinion. Spot on, some common sense postings here Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I know I'm in danger of getting all daily mail outraged but I was just appalled by Cadbury's advert I think the general consensus is that most people disagree Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henchanted Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Must be really nice living in a bubble were everything is 2 dimensional. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Must be really nice living in a bubble were everything is 2 dimensional. Heavens!! Is that what you think of folk who disagree with you? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henchanted Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Only those who choose not to respect other peoples sensitivity and claim that there is nothing wrong when someone is telling them there is. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I simply reported that most people here disagreed with your opinion. The issue of sensitivity is completely separate and not one I was commenting on . Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LuckyChickenLover- Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 (edited) Removed Edited May 31, 2011 by Guest Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Play nicely please or this thread will be pulled. Any further personal comments and it will be pulled anyway. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henchanted Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Kraft who took over Cadbury, ( some would say illegally because they made promises to keep all sites going to close the deal and once in, within weeks closed one of the oldest Cadbury sites just outside Bristol) are a giant multi-billion pound, multi-national company. I don't think they would lose any sleep over an offensive advert as long as it saved them money in free publicity and made them money from the exposure. The only thing that made them pull the ad was (a) it already had the desired effect and (b) it looks better that they pulled it rather than being told to do so, scoring them some 'brownie' points possibly, and in the hope they can avoid being sued. Business is ruthless, Kraft is ruthless and should be made to pay whether the controversial advert was deliberate or accidental (surely the advertisers know what they are doing, they do this for a living), they have profited, and (Naomi ! ) give the money to charity. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I just think it would be a sad world to live in if no black person could ever feature in an advert for chocolate,ever again For fear of someone,somewhere thinking it racist. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henchanted Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I think this debate is about whether Cardbufy-Krat were behaving badly when they used a black celebrities identity to sell chocolate bar- without their agreement and in unflattering overtones. I think if the advert appeared with Naomi's consent (if she would consent to something like this) then there would not be anything in it. Isn't it the fact that K-C are trading off-of and preying-on her media image without her consent AND so we then can't help but ask why they pick on her (do we not have any other divas in this world) is it because she is black as well as a diva? I wonder if there is more to this than we are told, I wonder whether she was approached and refused/asked for too much money and they ran with it anyway. I'm no fan of Naomi but even less of unscrupulous fat cats who don't mind who they offend just to make more money. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ziggy Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I wonder if there is more to this than we are told, I wonder whether she was approached and refused/asked for too much money and they ran with it anyway. I'm no fan of Naomi but even less of unscrupulous fat cats who don't mind who they offend just to make more money. This might be a bit extreme considering we really don't know, from that article, what Cadbury's motivation was. Maybe the people involved did nothing dishonest and do not deserve to be called unscrupulous fat cats. Should we really be so aggressive to them without knowing the facts, and basing judgement in guess work? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 If they WERE using her image without consent then she'd have a case against them. In factthey didn't use her image, nor even her full name. She is well known for being a 'diva' because of the media attention she has courted and one or two unfortunate court cases. This was a light-hearted use of her 'image' and to be honest when I saw the ad I thought 'Naomi who?' because she's a bit of a has-been these days. You'd think she'd be glad of the publicity. I think this is a case of sense-of-humour failure on her part, or perhaps an excuse to court publicity. It's got nothing to do with racism; her colour has nothing to do with the ad. I don't think Cadburys-Kraft are in some sort of conspiracy, for goodness sake. Why would they bother? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 You are still picking over this advert with a fine toothed comb to try and pin down some racist issue As a person of mixed race I can honestly hand on heart say that for me it is not an issue and I do find it a tad offensive having people who have not been at the sharp end of racism saying what should be perceived as racist. Ms Campbell is a big girl, I kicked shins when I was a child, she takes people to court. She is more than capable of fighting her own battles, assuming that is that she is actually bothered and I suspect if she is it will be that her name is being used rather that her thinking they are calling her 'chocolate'. Perhaps she was party to the whole thing As far as Cadburys goes it would appear that you have made it a very successful advert. I would never have noticed it had it not been debated here. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I haven't seen it and am not that bothered now. This is like the JL advert with the dog in a kennel in the snow It is just an advert. Like the gin swallowing Aldi Lady...... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 oooh I like that advert Christian.. makes me giggle but no I dont think they are meaning all older ladies drink Gin.... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 It is just an advert. Like the gin swallowing Aldi Lady...... Oooh I love her. She cracks me up every time I see her. Super timing. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I agree, brilliant advert! I also like the advert of the little girl with the rocket ice lolly .. I think it's asda, she makes me laugh shes so cute. oooh off topic a bit but hey ho.. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 It is just an advert. Like the gin swallowing Aldi Lady...... Oooh I love her. She cracks me up every time I see her. Super timing. Haven't seen that one....off to Google it ....very funny Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henchanted Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 ( I was just gong to bed -wish I hadn't logged -on- sorry - must just add to my rant ) I do find it a tad offensive having people who have not been at the sharp end of racism saying what should be perceived as racist. I find it quite odd that because I am white an assumption is made that I do not know or have not experienced racism myself, and that because I'm white I'm somehow not qualified to stick up for Ms Campbell Odd I speak up when I see wrong (whatever it may be) because to say nothing would make me party to it and I am against this advert, accidental or deliberate, because offense was caused and I, (and many others- though not many on here) can see why. The only reason why I posted here was in answer to Pauline's question and I've found myself unable to stop batting the balls back all day, obviously because I have zero tolerance over prejudice, particularly racism however subtle. Thats not to say I don't make mistakes and if I cause offense (unintentionally I hope) I welcome others pointing it out to me. Yes I believe K-C behaved badly because they did not care whether people might be offended. Yes it is a Krafty ( ) way of getting cheap publicity for what is essentially a fat and sugar laden consumable whose only resemblance to real chocolate is probably its colour.( no don't start that again ) I do feel entitled to call K-C company unscrupulous fat cats because of the way they treated most of their employees in our neighbouring community as well as this stunt they pulled. Christian I do not know the ads you mention but I will look out for them. I too love a genuinely good advert that sells the product and leaves you with a good feeling. Perfect. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 1, 2011 Share Posted June 1, 2011 Looks as if there are several points of view on this topic, then, all of equal merit. I haven't heard a word of protest about the disgusting piece of overt as opposed to perceived racism perpetrated by a hairdresser friend of Kate Moss, to Ben Douglas at the Baftas, which has been widely reported this week. Odd, that. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted June 1, 2011 Share Posted June 1, 2011 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted June 1, 2011 Author Share Posted June 1, 2011 Gosh I really wish I hadn't posted the original comment. I've been busy so not had time to do more than skim through some of the comments here but I'm surprised at the tone tbh. Re the ad I get the impression that I'm not supposed to notice racism if I'm white - blimey dammed if we do and dammed if we don't. Not everybody experiences the same type of racism and some people find different comments more or less offensive I didn't think that meant as a white person my views are irrelevant. I didn't comment on the Ben Douglas experience as that is so self evidently wrong and the comments were made by an individual who has now been outed for what he is. I commented on the Cadbury ad because it seemed to me unpleasant exploitation of an individual by a large company for profit. As I said before I'm no fan of Naomi Campbell but why pick her name and not Kate Moss say for the ad ? Why surround the bar with uncut diamonds rather than bling diamond jewellery if you want to evoke the diva image ? And I felt it was stretching credibility that no one in the ad agency or their focus groups saw the link between 'chocolate bar' used as a racist taunt in the playground and likening her to a chocolate bar in the ad before it ran ? Just because Naomi Campbell has a temper and suspect morals does not mean she loses all rights to be offended Beng white does not been I can't consider something to be racist and I have certainly been on the receiving end of racism myself growing up. Whilst it isn't something I want to go into on a public forum I rather suspect from the comments here that the effects of racism has had more of an impact on my childhood than any of yours. I shall ask the mods to lock this as I think it has gone far enough. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...