fluffy chick

broody cage - Am I doing it wrong?!

Unless I read the original post wrong, the poster mentioned collecting eggs - a hen is not broody if she is still laying :think:

Yes the others are laying (as close as they can get to the nesting boxes) poor things :roll: I only have one broody cage so there is still 2 in the nesting box . However one of my broody madams has been pushed out and is now just laying on the roosting bars.

I would love to hatch eggs and have found a chicken rescue farm near me who said they'll take any cockerels. (She owes me a favour long story) It's not really a viable option for me at the minute though, I don't have anywhere for them to sleep when they grow up and would rather choose how many girls I get and colours etc. Maybe something for the future though :lol:

My Welsummer went broody a couple of weeks ago. We kept her separate in the WIR day and night for 5 days. We tried to reintroduce her after 3 days but she went straight into the nest box, so she was back in isolation for another 2 days. Our WIR is on bark chippings and it was really cute the way she dug herself a hole to sleep in - I guess the cold bark kept her nether regions cool as well!! We found that when she had 'snapped' out of it you could really feel the change in her body temperature. Anyway she laid her first !eggbrown! today since being broody and it is HUGE!! :o