fluffy chick

broody cage - Am I doing it wrong?!

Ok I'm getting really fed up now :roll:

I have 3 broodies at the mo trying to share a nesting box and I want to snap them out of it. I bought a small dog cage, coop cups etc and took the plastic base out to use as a roof. I put it on bricks. I have had one chicken in for 4 days, it didn't work, I tried another for 3 days and it didn't work, I gave up and tried the 3rd chicken for 4 days which also didn't work!!! :doh: They were in day and night did I do anything wrong?! I collect the eggs (few and far between) asap.

I also tried those blue ice packs in the nest box but they just laid (with bare bellies) on top of them. :roll: They have all been broody for over 4 weeks now. Will they eventually just snap out of it themselves? They seem to be egging each other on! When I've had broodies in the past they've always been left to their own devises but it's never lasted more then 2/3 weeks before!

Any ideas :pray:

keep them inthere for a week (7 days all day and all night) making sure they have food and water keep the cage quite high as the cold air flow is a pain in the neck for broodys

IF that dont work get a bucket of cold water DO NOT DUNK them just lower her chest in to it do it twice a day then back into the cage and beleave me they will stop being broody

i think it depends on the chicken its self i know some broodys that onced put abit in water snap out of broodyness but others you can do what you want and there still broody

but yes put a broody in a dog cage or something of the sort on bricks for 3 days to a week but she will need a constent source of food and water leave her in ther 24/7 (making sure she has protection of course) and cover her if raining etc then it should work well 99.9% of the time

Thanks for your replies. At least i'm not going mad! I did put a perch in too as they seemed to struggle to walk on the bottom of the cage with them being so small. This shouldn't matter though should it?! Two of them were in for 4 days. i guess I could have left them in for longer. :? They have all been in the nest box again now (the most recent Lavender, since Monday). Should I put one back in the cage then? I'm not sure the dunking would work if the ice packs didn't :? They are perfectly safe, covered and with food and water but I still feel really mean. Should I start with Lavender again or the first one I tried to sort?

I've never had the dunking method work either, and someone on here says they can die of shock as a result. broody coop usually works for me, 2 days and 2 nights minimum but 3 if you can stand it!!

thats why i said do not dunk and do not use freezing water as yes some birds will have a heart attack just lower the bottom of the chest(as its bold) in cool water and with some birds it works as goes the cageing method

for around 3-5 seconds do not dunk her fully tho and make sure the water is cold not freezing cold

broodys pluck there feathers over from there chest to create heat so the cooler the belly gets the more they feel like quitting

well, that's what I did (several years ago now) with no ill effects to the chook in question - but no effect on the broodiness either! so I stand by the cage method as less 'intensive'; you might have to repeat it but it does work in the end.

and dont forget that allowing a chook to remain broody if you are not planning for her to hatch exposes her to increased risk of mites, low resistance etc etc.

people used different tactics thats whats great about useing forums you learn so many different ways and if one dont work then you try another :)

Another tip is to catch them before they've really started. The signs are obvious, feathers in the nest box, a different cluck, becoming anti-social with the others etc. If you don't let them get in the zone, they're so much easier to break - I've not had to resort to a sin bin or dunking yet.

no problem i didnt think you sounded snappy :) i ment we all have different views and its good to share them and if someone is doing something that aint working for them then they can ask a question and find out about other peoples views

but again no problem mate all is good :wink:

I tried everything to stop my broody hen early. What finally worked after weeks was freezing a big 2 gal jug of water and leaving it the nest box for three nights in a row. I am convinced my hen's broody behavior contributed to her early demise at just over a year old from spending too much time in the nest box in the heat and being so hyper when out of the nest box. I think she wore herself out.

Renee

i know some people who put replace the pot eggs or normal eggs with ice cubes as it cools her and she dont likes it but you will need to change the next box bedding

OR you can just let them sit on a couple of fertile eggs and in 21 days you get cute chicks :lol:

It's probs worth saying - if you have a couple of broodies, you don't really want them in the broody cage together - they'll just cuddle up to keep warm!

I've bought a collapsable cage which I put on some bricks so air can flow beneath her. I put in a spare 'grub' and a water container. The cage is large enough for her to walk around and sits in the WIR so she remains part of the flock. On a night I put an old bedsheet over it so any wandering foxes can't eye her up overnight but it's thin enough that it can't let her get too warm.

Ahh, joy! The Pekin broody season :lol: .........I have mother & 3 daughters from last year all snuggled up hoping for the next generation to materialise from bedding they are hatching......believe me there are no eggs in that nestbox...."Ooops, word censored!"ody dares go near their snippy little beaks & badtempered chuntering :lol: .oh yes and a maran who's taken up residence in another nestbox, though she does let her sisters in to lay & whips their eggs under her chest asap :roll:

Trouble is my broody cage is in use atm with 9 quail babies........might be time for a rejig :roll:

I've used the broody cage to great effect previously & once it's available I will again........I have had success with more than one pekin in the large cage too...in the nestbox they seem to snuggle up, but didn't bother in the cage......

Sha x