Ginfiend

Noisy hens

I have a big problem with my 3 girls - noise. I'm not talking about 'announcements' when they lay - that's not a problem - it's the relentless whining / screeching when they see anyone - so whenever you open the back door. (And we do a lot)

I can handle it, but my OH can't. It's got so bad, I've had to take the chickens temporarily to my sister, while we work things out. Since being there (4 days) - they've hardly made a sound.

What have I been doing wrong? Is it that the chickens are unhappy - is that why they were making so much noise?

Unless I can sort it out, there's no chance of me being able to have them back and I'll have to re-home them.

:(

Can you try putting a screen/windshield between the door and run or adjust the run cover so there's a filled in bit blocking their view?

Mine do that attention noise when they see me pass the back door or in the kitchen window. They shut up when they can't see you. They're probably used to you giving them treats or talking to them everytime you go out the door and your sister isn't falling for their attention ploy. Just a guesstimate, I'm sure someone else will have something better to tell you.

I'd hazard a guess that it is as daxigirl says. When you get your chickens back from your sister, stand firm against their attention seeking and make a point of coming and going while ignoring their racket. You could also make some particular noise or give a particular call (I call 'Chickies') or carry some particular coloured thing (red is a colour chooks love) when you are giving them treats but never give them treats or food when you do not have this thingamy / give the call. That way they should only make the noise when you are ready to hand out goodies to them. It's really just a case of Pavlov's dogs . . . I think. :think:

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on, I have a similar problem with my pekin bantam hen, she

seems to be screaming, though it stops for a while after she's laid her egg. I'm afraid the neighbours

will get fedup, my other hens have lovely deep voices. Let us know if you have any success

Agree it is attention seeking. Mine don't make super loud noises when they see me but they do run over and make soft begging noises. One the other hand, they largely ignore the OH as he only ever intereacts with them if he is using a single grape to lure them from one place to another. Whilst I was in hospital several people commented they seemed much quieter.

Agree they can be easily trained to link a certain cup or command with treats - it's harder to train yourself to only give treats linked to certain stimuli :think:

Thanks for the advice - I think I have been too soft with them in the past - treats, letting out on demand and not enough of a routine. Sounds like they just need some discipline! (And me...)

I went to visit them today at my sister's and she was saying they've been really good - no whining / screaming. They're being kept in the run, and fed a treat of lettuce in the morning with their food, so there's no association with people and an additional treat. They made a bit more noise when I went up to the run to say hello, but other than that they seemed very relaxed and quiet. They are next to her rabbits as well, so they are getting used to see people feeding the rabbits but not them - so hopefully that will help break the association too.

I'm now trying to work out if I can locate them in a different part of the garden, so if I manage to get them back, they don't go back to an old routine. It's difficult, as the garden is only small and there's only a couple of places I can fit the eglu. I'm wondering if they hated where I had them and if that was contributing to the complaining? They were on woodchip (not bark), but on loose earth, so it all used to get churned up together. At my sister's, they're on grass with a chicken wire base and a bit of Easi-bed, and a bowl for dust-bathing. Doesn't seem as messy (but then it's only been a week!)...

Interesting about the colour thing and them liking red - never thought of that. I'll give that a go if I get another chance with them. Fingers crossed, if they keep this new-found quietness, I can get them back in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the advice - much appreciated - will keep you posted on how it turns out.

Yep - I agree with all of the above. We are new to keeping chickens but have been far too soft with them as its been fun (and still is) and a bit of a novelty. Treats at all times of the day and being let out to free range when ever they want. No discipline at all and we realise that we are to blame. This has resulted in them being more and more naughty / confident by the day. They wander into the house at will, so now we have to keep all the outside doors closed. When the doors are closed they try and fly in through the lounge window and the other day Lilly wandered into the lounge hid behind the sofa and laid an egg!

Now as they've been let out to FR too much they are destroying the lawn, so we've decided to keep them in their 3 meter Eglu run while the lawn recovers. This has resulted in them shouting and screaming every time they see us at any window in the house as they want to be let out to FR. Obviously we are very concerned that the increased noise will upset our neighbours. What do we do? Let them out to keep them quiet and have no lawn or upset the neighbours and have a lawn?? Its now got to the point the we're frightened to be seen by the windows!!

Where did the phrase "Ruling the Roost come from?"

Stick it out - yes, they will shout when they see you but mine usually give up after a bit of squawking and carry on doing their chickeny thing.

They need to get used to seeing you in the garden/at the window, but not delivering treats/offering time out.

That said, chickens have a very short memory span - there's always going to be a bit of initial bokking, but it's probably not as noisy as you think it is.

I've read the comments with interest. My 3 girls make a dreadful noise, but not when they see us (they are "hidden" away from the house so don't know when we are around til we go to them). They are silent when let out of their run and able to wander in their netting enclosure, but as we are at work during the day this can only be when we are home. I am getting really worried about the neighbours complaining(we don't speak!). Two of them have pecked chests, is this all a sign of them being bored? Help!!

It does sound a little like boredom or at least a bid to get attention and be let out, but others may know better.

Have you tried hanging up different 'boredom busters' such as half a coconut, an apple, or a bunch of leaves. It would be important to hang up different things on different days and not to put several in at once. The idea is that the items should swing freely and are therefore harder to get at, keeping the hens interested. They have to work out a sort of routine of having two hens pecking from two different sides so that they can get at it well.

It might also help to switch from pellets to crumbs - as these take longer to eat / are more difficult for them to shovel up. I'd suggest something like the Omlet organic food which is crumb like in consistency. It is the greenish bag that you can get for a good deal in with the yellow one of corn. Soon we'll be getting the stalks of brussel sprouts and they can be good boredom busters too.

As for your neighbours, I'd only get anxious once they complain. Anticipating complaints can often be inaccurate and will just make you so nervous you won't enjoy your hens. Perhaps they too (your neighbours, not your hens) work away from home during the day, or perhaps they stay in all day (especially now it is getting colder) and have the TV on loud, or the washing machine etc. and don't hear your girls at all, or perhaps the chicken noise is drowned out by traffic or other noises of the daytime or even, perhaps they actually like the noise :) .