mags56

Chickens won't go in at night

My four hens have until recently been perfectly happy to put themselves to bed in their cube. But for some reason they have decided that they would prefer to sleep on their "mezzanine" (shelf in the run) instead.

I have checked their house for mites or other creepies and found nothing.... what could be putting them off and should I worry?

I have been putting them in the cube once they have settled on their mezzanine and think they then stay there. I do worry about them getting cold if the weather turns or wet if it rains heavily (although there is a roof above the run).

Any help gratefully received!

I wouldn't worry about this at all - our first flock did this and our remaining original chook has taught the newbies the same trick. They slept out almost until the first snow last year then suddenly started putting themselves to bed again when they were ready. We don't seem to have any problems with early morning noise from them.

Chickens... curious creatures!

OOh thanks for those comments. I'm so happy it's nothing to worry about... I shall leave them to it then!!! It's hard to understand when they have such a beautiful house to sleep in!

Reply to Hammy72 : I leave their door open at this time of the year because it is so mild but also (and more to the point!) they will be crying to come out at about 4.30am......and although I love my girls, i also love my bed. :lol: