kissinuk

Eglu classic side door in run - now with pic!

Hi, I am thinking about extending my classic run by an extra metre, however I imagine it will make cleaning the run difficult. Has anyone customised the run to have an extra side door? If so how did you do it? Do omlet sell door panels separate which I imagine would then need bending slightly?

Edit: I have now completed making the side door in the eglu run, in the end I bought a spare door & pin from Omlet (cost about £9:80) and put the door in the 2nd panel as suggested. After several checks I decided that the run would still be strong enough with a hole cut out of the side, so I went for it. Note that this was entirely my own decision if you do this you will likely invalidate any warranty!!

I can post full instructions if anyone wants them, but basically the pin rings were created by bending over some of the existing wire. All exposed metal was then covered with plastikote to protect it. Note that I cut the hole leaving 1 row of overlap at the top, this is due to the curve in the run.

Overall I'm very happy with it, will make cleaning much easier.

2011-08-06153912.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hello

Yes! I have 2 extended classic runs with side doors and am planning to join both to make a long run and creating a third 'door' in the middle for access.

What I have done for each is bought a pair of run skirt squares from Omlet, (found in the eglu classic spares section), joined them to make a rectangle using eglu clips and strong garden wire, this makes a great, strong door that is easily attached with more clips along one edge for hinges and 'locked' in place with 2 bungee hooks (also in spares section) on the opposite corners.

I made the doorway in the second run panel (going away from the eglu) about 12 rungs up, by cutting with sturdy pliers a rectangle 6 rungs in height and 5 in width. It helps to put your door on first to see where you would like the opening, before you start cutting, and voila! A door blending in to be barely noticeable and giving you access to feed, water, poop scoop, add grit, hang bird feeders with treats, change dust baths, put in or move perches, or just let the little darlings out........sorry I know I don't have to sell the idea but I do get excited when a plan goes well...

Hope that helps :D

Actually, just looking at the cube end panel, it does look about 3 times the size of my doors and am wondering if cutting that big an opening might affect the integrity of a run.

I was so nervous about cutting too much I checked the size and checked again until I was absolutely sure.....

Yes, I agree it would need cutting down a bit. I'd like a door similar in size to the main door if possible, but I do need to be careful to make sure it stays sturdy.

Looks like we are getting our chickens at the weekend from either Cotswold Chickens or West Lodge Rural Centre (our last one died about a year ago), cleaned up eveything today ready, just need that run extension!

After using this for over a year I can say this has been a godsend for cleaning. Worked out well and the girls much prefer it to the other door now (not sure why though!). As long as you measure up correctly its easy to cut to shape, I used wire cutters in the end, not easy to cut through so expect blisters.

Sarattie, if you need bigger picture showing where to cut let me know.

I still havent got round / been brave enough to do this....

I see they now do a side door self kit. Does anyone know how this works in a cube??!

I REALLY like the look of the new Mk2 cube. Not sure budget will allow though! I like how they have put the door turn at the top like the classic and a slide door for the nest.

Still no side door though....... lol!