CluckyBucks

What time do you let your chickens out?

In reply to JohnandKimberley.

I let mine FR when I'm at home, usually 2 or 3 hours in the evening and more at the weekend but I'm on holiday at the moment so they are out lots. But I don't let them FR if I'm not at home cos garden not totally secure for them and we live on the edge of a village where there are foxes.

Kymberly, trust me closer to the time you will be worrying about the weather.... we made sure the venue meant we had options.... giant victorian orangery incase it rained but still had a feeling of being outside. Sun shone fantastically all day!

To the person who is about to get chooks and lives next to open fields... yes I strongly recommend you close the eglu door at night, especially in light of the fact you already have evidence of fox activity in your garden.

I have gravel board and 8 foot fencing all around my house so I know its highly unlikely that we will get a fox in the garden... on top of which I have the cube run battoned down.

Most of mine sleep in coop 1 and I leave the pophole open so they get up when they want - about 5.30am at the moment. They go to bed early though, before 6.30 :o Dandelion and Delilah sleep in coop2 and I shut them in until 8am to muffle Dandelions crowing. They make up for their enforced lie in by staying up until 9pm. Muppet and Chickadee are in a sectioned off part of the run , Muppet has introduced Chickadee to camping out and they are usually awake same time as coop 1.