CluckyBucks

What time do you let your chickens out?

I let mine out when I get up so it varies between 6.30am and 7.30am Having said that I've just been away for a couple of days and left the door open so they could go in and out as they wanted to with someone calling in at some point in the day.

I also leave the coop door open so that the chooks can get themselves up and into the run when they please. At the moment I think that's somewhere around 5.15am (no way am I getting up that early! :lol: )

Looked out of the upstairs window this morning at 8.40am to look at my chooks doing their chooky things, but happened to notice next door's girlfriend letting their chickens out wearing just knickers and a t-shirt :shock: I should perhaps suggest to her that a dressing gown might be a good idea... :lol:

I let mine out anytime between 6.00 and 7.00 am and then dash back to bed for another hour (but I do wear my dressing gown!) I have left the Eglu door a few times but am not altogether happy doing this - just incase a fox did manage to break into the run - the closed Eglu door presents another obstacle for him. When I did leave the door open, the girls made a fuss because their grub feeder wasn't there because I don't leave it out overnight so I had to get up anyway!

When I get off work. I was letting them out later in the day when it was cooler, but since it's been rainy and not as hot for the past week or so they've been fussing to be let out earlier. Last weekend, I let them out in the late afternoon and my hubby saw a hawk in the pine tree overhead as I was putting them away later. He joked that might take care of the cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet that I am desperately trying to rehome! :evil: With my luck, it would take the hen and leave the cockerel!

ETA: I thought this was about free ranging. I leave the Eglu door open all the time, at least for the summer, so they can get more air.

Edited by Guest

Ours get out at 7am...

They get straight out to FR. They run the length of the garden, flap, then do their monster poos.

We then give them some porridge and then sort out the cube and WIR.

After about 45 mins they're put back in the run.

At that point Troy goes straight in to lay an egg...

hmm, some interesting posts on here. I leave the door to the cube open, not because i want a lie in but as soon as i close it they start shouting and screaming and it will go on all night, from 8pm at night to whenever their let out in the morning. As for FRing i let my out about 9.30-10ish generally, being wormed at the minute so they are being limited as i want them to eat the worming pellets. But most of you are letting them out and 6am-7am? i wonder if im slacking but im quite scared to do that as the postman says he see's foxes early in the morning.... (before i get into a rant about my postie AGAIN, hes one of those people who thinks he knows everything and just talks for the sake of it saying stupid pointless things like "your chickens are sleeping ya no?")-give me strength!

AlisonH - do you leave yours out FRing when you are out?

P.S if the girls arent let out by 10ish they will start to make a noise but i dont have to get up! i have epilepsy and if i get up really quickly it can sort of make my head spin (like im going to faint not have a fit, but i faint alot, i always have done since i was about 6, doc thinks its low blood pressure or something or other, have spent most of my life with legs up on a chair or my head between my knees!!!) anyway so H2B does it and then i usually get a biscuit and tea :D and that applies when the cat is meowing to go out in the middle of the night too!!

Edited by Guest

I have been letting mine out the cube about 6.15 in the week but at the weekends for some reason I have started sleeping in until about 7.30... last weekend the chooks decided at 7am that the neighbourhood needed waking up so I ran down the stairs and into the garden in just my grungers to let them out... peace was restored.. so now.. I have started leaving the door open and run closed. We have 8 foot fencing all round the house so I dont think foxes will get in.

Now, when we get up at 6.15 Daisy is already in the nesting box laying her egg!

BTW Kimberly - you are getting married a year to the day I got married... 12th May.... good choice of date... weather is so much better in May than in June or July!

As I am in the process of getting my first Eglu and chooks I am surprised to see how many of you leave the eglu door open overnight. I would be terrified to do that for fear of foxes. I know the run is supposed to be fox resistant but I just don't trust foxes not to find a way :-/

We live on the edge of a small village and there is a large, unfarmed field right next to our garden. Our fence is agricultural style fencing so anything could hop straight through, and I'm sure we get fox poo in the garden (dog like but much smaller than our dogs poo - sorry if too much information!)

Am I being over cautious?

As I am in the process of getting my first Eglu and chooks I am surprised to see how many of you leave the eglu door open overnight. I would be terrified to do that for fear of foxes. I know the run is supposed to be fox resistant but I just don't trust foxes not to find a way :-/

We live on the edge of a small village and there is a large, unfarmed field right next to our garden. Our fence is agricultural style fencing so anything could hop straight through, and I'm sure we get fox poo in the garden (dog like but much smaller than our dogs poo - sorry if too much information!)

Am I being over cautious?

I keep my eglu door shut at night time. I don't think you can ever be 'over cautious'.

Mine get let out at about 8am, I don't have a run so they free-range all day and I shut them in after they've all settled down in the coop for the night. It was earlier (about 7.15) until I realised I had a cockerel chick (two now apparently :roll: ) but leave them that little bit longer now in case they disturb the neighbours :?