Egluntyne

In the shade

Any suggestions as to what might grow in a damp east facing very shady border ( gets very little sun) with a stone wall and privet hedge at the back of it.

There are a few very poor apple trees, inc a Russet, a honeysuckle bush, a scruffy rhodedendron, and a holly bush. It is about a metre and a half wide and about 20 metres long.

(My compost heap is there too.)

Are there any vegetables which like those conditions?

Ta muchly

One side of my garden is north facing, so I have 100 feet of dark north facing border, about 30 feet of which is quite damp (with a compost heap!). I have a lovely cotoneaster against the fence, and a couple of hostas, some roses, primulas, forget me nots, lovely orange blossom, and lots of other bits and pieces too. I will have a look and get back to you!

Not sure that veggies would enjoy the shade, all my fruit and veg is on the south facing side of the garden :D

I have a north east facing border. Its taken a few years, but is now finally looking very lush! There is: cherry tree (a very light, open branched, not too tall type :? ), hebes, ferns, weigela, holly, sambuccas (sp?), an australian bottle brush thing, hardy geranium, day lilies, crocosmia and jasmine. Plus 2 eglus in the dappled shade from the trees! 8)

We've got a bottlebrush too. We got a huge one from homebase for £19.99 and its in flower at the moment and gorgeous.

Ferns like dark/damp spots and I was going to say hosta's too. You can get some lovely hosta's we have a plain one and a variagated one too.